Author Topic: Roman Catholics born Selby 1780s - are Baptisms at Stourton?  (Read 10548 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Roman Catholics born Selby 1780s - are Baptisms at Stourton?
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 16 July 16 20:43 BST (UK) »
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 16 July 16 21:24 BST (UK) »
James Mountain 'History of Selby' 1800

Same page

Richard Gibson cooper Wren lane 1800

Thomas Halliday fish monger Wren lane 1800

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=TaBbAAAAQAAJ&pg=RA1-PA57&dq=richard+gibson+wren+lane+selby+cooper&hl=en&sa=X&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=richard%20gibson%20wren%20lane%20selby%20cooper&f=false

Thanks dobfarm

I could not find any link Gibson to Thomas Halliday of London, in the Gazette.

Regards Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 16 July 16 21:51 BST (UK) »
I wonder if having connections to ships information on the river docks at Selby- these local Selby general tradesmen were doing a bit of insurance gambling for big profit on the Lloyds 'names' for ship insurance -(chaman) and their ship got sunk.~ or ~ as Dicking's  Mr Micawber's ship did not come in. ;D
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 18 July 16 20:54 BST (UK) »
Protestant Dissenters' Registry Daniel Williams Library, Redcross Street, Cripplegate, London

Start date April 6th 1743 - End date Dec 30th 1837

The Protestant Dissenters' Registry served the congregations of Baptist, Independents and Presbyterians in London and within a twelve mile radius of the capital. However, parents from most parts of the British Isles and even abroad also used the registry. It was started in 1742, with retrospective entries going back to 1716, and continued until 1837. Unlike RG4, RG5 contains only the birth records.

http://www.bmdregisters.co.uk/help/aboutRG5.htm#whatis

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 20 July 16 08:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks dobfarm for your replies

Regarding dissenters, I emailed the Williams Library and a University a while back (Uni replied).

There are three known types of surviving Selby Dissenting Registers it seems, one starts 1790s, one called the Dissenters Register starting very early 1800s (James Collinson's children are baptised 'Dissenters') and the other being Quakers.

I am in email/verbal contact with two other archives, re other records, I wish to see in person.

Regards Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 21 July 16 12:15 BST (UK) »
Working on the highly slim chance a Glasgow Hood Coopers theory- but not impossible !! ~ ? 1841 census could be wrong on George's birth county considering the Gibson bankrupt or Gibson wanting another cooper-known advert 1800 and possible unknown adverts 1801 to say 1806 in national newspapers. ( or Scottish newspapers ?)

Scottish People website maybe worth a look at for a George Hood 1784 to 1788 bapt and 1845 burial in Catholic or any denomination.

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

Need to buy credits and register

PS there is also that William Hood a cooper in trouble with the law at Loanhead Scotland

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 22 July 16 07:18 BST (UK) »

Scottish People website maybe worth a look at for a George Hood 1784 to 1788 bapt and 1845 burial in Catholic or any denomination.

PS there is also that William Hood a cooper in trouble with the law at Loanhead Scotland

Thanks, I'm a member of Scotsland People. They only had (and still have) two marriages listed for 1845.

I seem to recall saving a download of something, but it does not link to Selby or Yorkshire   :-[

No 1845 burials for George Hood ...
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/people/george_hood_1845_1845

Been looking at the surviving Manor of Selby records (I'll post information on appropriate thread).

Regards Mark

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 23 July 16 12:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark

Not quite sure which thread to drop the following snippets, but.....

Edward Burton (Sarah Russell's grandfather) was living in dwellings owned by Lady Stourton in 1781 and later Lord Petre   

Interestingly, in 1717 there are some Burton's of Selby in the West Yorkshire Roman Catholic Oath records and whilst browsing the following were listed in 1717:

Nathaniel Hudd
Roger Hudd
Samuel Hudd

Not sure what these snippets bring to the cause, but maybe worth noting for future reference
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 23 July 16 17:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks Goughy

I have got the Will of Roger Hood (photos from Archivist holding the Howard Vyse Family collection). Also have Roger Hood's Will, Samuel Hudd's 1738 Admin and Matthew Hood's 1717 Admin (see link below) from the Borthwick via FindMyPast.

Link to the Register entry of the Admin of Matthew Hood of Selby, dated 29 May 1717 in Latin (from Microfilm at Borthwick, camera set to daylight), with translation by Rootschat member Bookbox ...

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=751453.0
If you scroll down (above link), you'll also see my photo of Matthew Hood's 1717 grave and his Widow Elizabeth who died 1732, in Selby Abbey.

Recently, I was asking the Archives at Beverley, who had a John Hood mentioned in a photocopy Catholic Index on their shelves (but not the actual pages, due to the John Hood reference not being in East Riding), but felt their photocopy Index entry referred to the York area and an Apprenticeship record mentioning John Hood, printed in the Catholic Record Society Miscellanea Volume IV (free online).

The Catholic Lands of Lady Catherine Petre of Selby were inrolled in 1720, and a description extract I have refers to a Messuage with small close in the Market Place and five fields (named) at Selby which were lately in the occupation of one Hood a Barber ...

Regards Mark