Author Topic: Hannah Crampin/Crampen Southminster  (Read 1154 times)

Offline nichbuket

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hannah Crampin/Crampen Southminster
« on: Sunday 10 July 16 21:23 BST (UK) »
Hello,

My cousin and I are currently struggling to find any information on our 5th great grandmother Hannah Crampin/Crampen.  She married John Spurgin by license (according to Pallot's Index & under Crampin) 20 March 1806 in Southminster (under Crampen according to England Select Marriages.  Their last son, George, was born in Southminster 1810 and John died in Bradwell 1815. Unsure currently where/when Hannah passed.

We have tried all versions of Hannah's surname that I can find: Crampin, Crampen, Crampon, Crampan, & Crampion but cannot seem to find a birth for a Hannah of the name before 1823.  In an attempt to possibly find siblings in the area to trace back I was able to find a William and Sarah Crampin both who were married in Southminster 1814, but I have been unable to find their origins either so no way to possibly make that connection. We have even attempted branching outside Essex at this point but still no luck.

We have even considered that Crampin may not be Hannah's maiden name, but at this point the only Hannah marrying a Crampin in England we can find occurred in 1781. Her husband John Spurgin wasn't even born until 1785.

I was thinking that the license may offer more information---at the vary least ages, residence and previous marital status, but when I attempted to search the Seax website for it I came up empty handed. I don't know if that means that it just hasn't been indexed yet or if it no longer exists.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated as Hannah is a major brick wall for us.

Thanks for your time,
Nich

Klein, Comiss, Theobald, Hanney, Bernath, Salomonovics, Yakimovsky, Putney, Barlow, Beard, Gibbs, LeVierge, Tree, Trinder, Carter, Malpass, Crampin, Spurgin, Warner, Parker, Medcalf, Amer, Arnold,  Connelly,

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Catherine Sandys & Sarah Richardson,where are you?
    • View Profile
Re: Hannah Crampin/Crampen Southminster
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 July 16 21:34 BST (UK) »
At the marriage both parties were single, both under 21 and had consent of parents. Witnesses were John Spurgin, Mary Taylor Spurgin, Susan Spurgin and Charles Crampin.
Census information is Crown Copyright  -  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Catherine Sandys & Sarah Richardson,where are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 July 16 22:22 BST (UK) »
Free Reg has a Hannah Crampin born 12th March and baptised 2nd April, 1786 in Langenhoe to a Charles and Hannah.
Census information is Crown Copyright  -  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nichbuket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 July 16 15:55 BST (UK) »
Wow! Thanks so much!  I can't believe how speedy you are. I didn't have the updated website, so thank you much for that as well.

I wonder then if the Charles Crampin and Hannah Smyth marriage I found 9 Oct 1781 Little Bentley is the marriage of the Hannah's parents. I would say that the Charles baptized in Langenhoe in 1787 is Hannah's brother then too.  Possibly John in 1795/6 is a half brother then if I can find a burial for Hannah.

I appreciate all your help.  Your fantastic.
Nich
Klein, Comiss, Theobald, Hanney, Bernath, Salomonovics, Yakimovsky, Putney, Barlow, Beard, Gibbs, LeVierge, Tree, Trinder, Carter, Malpass, Crampin, Spurgin, Warner, Parker, Medcalf, Amer, Arnold,  Connelly,

Offline nannyj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 July 16 22:16 BST (UK) »
Looks like Charles senior had a brother too ... John crampin and his wife, also called Hannah, had a son Samuel, in 1780 in langenhoe.
Jamiesons, Martins and McGonigals of Coleraine, Londonderry
and
Cullens, Grahams and Challenors of Dublin county and city.

Offline nannyj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 July 16 22:19 BST (UK) »
John born 19/6/1796 is of Charles and Mary crampin. If we can find the marriage of Charles and Mary, it will hopefully say if he was widowed.
and

Offline nannyj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 July 16 22:27 BST (UK) »
Charles and Mary Alderton married by licence 9th June 1795. She was from east berghold. Doesn't say whether either were single or widowed unfortunately 😬
and

Offline snowball

• RootsChat Senior
  • Got to keep going...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 July 16 08:06 BST (UK) »
Hi,
There are more than 20 Crampin/Crampion/Crampon beneficiaries in Essex wills - I think looking at the wills concerned via SEAX would be beneficial to untangling the 18th Century family and open up new lines of enquiry.

FindMyPast Essex Wills Beneficiaries Index: http://www.rootschat.com/links/01hzj/
Rob

Offline snowball

• RootsChat Senior
  • Got to keep going...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 July 16 08:12 BST (UK) »
...and several Crampin wills - including what look like a Charles Crampin in the Southminster area proved in 1820
Rob