Author Topic: Researching a nineteenth century Postmaster  (Read 468 times)

Offline Tom 23

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Researching a nineteenth century Postmaster
« on: Monday 11 July 16 11:32 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have been researching a relative who was postmaster of Chatfield, Fillmore County, Minnesota, from 1861 to 1881 (apart from Johnson's term 1865-69).

I have found the Ulysses S Grant nomination as per the attached from the 'Journal of the Executive Proceedings of the Senate of the United States of America' March 1873 to March 1875 edition.

It seems that all of these volumes are searchable online, however I cannot find anymore presidential nominations for him and would really like to collect as many as I could, especially the nomination from Abraham Lincoln. 

Thanks

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Researching a nineteenth century Postmaster
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 July 16 16:04 BST (UK) »
President Chester A. Arthur nominated Malcolm McLarty to be postmaster of Chatfield, MN  1 Jan. 1883. Arthur's term ended in 1885.

You may want to expand your timeline for him as postmaster.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 July 16 21:18 BST (UK) »
The phrasing "the office having become Presidential" is interesting - it may indicate that there was no need for a presidential nomination before 1874.

In 1885, John R Jones, brother of Dick Jones, became postmaster of Chatfield, vice McLarty who had held the post for 'a quarter of a century', which fits approximately with your timeline:
http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn85025431/1885-07-22/ed-1/seq-2/
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 July 16 22:13 BST (UK) »
I've got a Postmaster and a Postmistress.  The president may have technically made the appointments but these jobs were given out as rewards by the party in power and the decisions were made locally.

My relative, James F. Ware, missed out on being the Postmaster of Fond du Lac but he moved down to Galveston and a few years later became the Postmaster of Hitchcock, Texas.  My grandfather's sister was for many years the postmistress in Oxford, Wisconsin but lost the job when the Democrats came to power in 1932.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis