Author Topic: Emma Moss (1855-1947) and Family  (Read 2005 times)

Offline KentishChris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Emma Moss (1855-1947) and Family
« on: Sunday 17 July 16 05:10 BST (UK) »
Hello!

My ancestor, Emma Moss (1855-1947) was born in Stepney, London and dies in Edmonton, London.
She marries a Charles Thomas Dewhurst in 1872.

This is where things get tricky...
On the 1861 and 1871 census, she is seen to be living with her grandmother, Sarah Moss, who in born in Dover. There is a baptism record listing her father as John and her mother as Sarah, but lists her father on her marriage certificate as James (and not deceased).

There is no further mention of either her father or mother's names. I have put a thread on the London section, but they have got as far as they can and guided me here as Sarah (born 1800) and her children were all born in Dover. Her children that I have found so far are Charles (1833-?), John (1838-) and James (1848-). I would assume there is more, considering the gaps.

At the moment, I have a feeling that it could be John who is Emma's father. With him only being 18 at the time of Emma's birth and being a 'Commercial Traveller', this could be a possibility. Some have said that both her parents could have passed in between the years 1855 and 1861, but I thought I would have stumbled across a record of some sort, but haven't.

I was hoping if anyone could help me trace this branch of my family tree. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance,
Chris
Goldsmith, Dewhurst, Brown, Stoneman, Waite, Philbey, Bolingbroke, Bowen - London
Evenden - Kent
Bryant - Somerset
Tyson, Walker, Beesley, Barlow - Lancashire
Horn - Sussex
Peacock, Bailey - Yorkshire
Butler - Hampshire

NIL DESPERANDUM

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Re: Emma Moss (1855-1947) and Family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 July 16 05:27 BST (UK) »
Have you found a marriage for John or James? And have you found them in any census records?
Just an observation: 17/18 is a bit young for a commercial traveller in my experience.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 July 16 05:58 BST (UK) »
I can't see a baptism in London for Emma, nor the James Moss listed in the 1861 census.  :-\
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline GenesA

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 July 16 10:08 BST (UK) »
I have the Moss family in 1851 and I notice that Sarah is listed as a widow but Emma wasn't born until 1855...

Have you found Emma's birth in the BMD index?

Offline GenesA

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 July 16 10:15 BST (UK) »
Ignore me!  ;D I'm getting myself all confused.

Offline GenesA

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 July 16 10:21 BST (UK) »
I can't find Emma's baptism but her birth certificate would be your best chance at confirming her mother's name at least. Emma's father might not necessarily be one of Sarah's sons. The fact that her father's name changes from John to James could mean that she wasn't sure of her father's name. Perhaps Sarah Moss had a daughter who went on to have Emma? If this daughter wasn't married then she could be working away from home, sending money to Sarah and Emma. Or she may have died soon after Emma's birth? I have examples in my tree where an illegitimate child was baptised by their grandparents which could explain why Sarah Moss is given as Emma's mother's name

Offline GenesA

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 July 16 10:47 BST (UK) »
Is this the Moss family in 1841?

William MOSS
50 (born between 1787 - 1791)

Sarah MOSS
40 (born between 1791 - 1801)

Jane MOSS
12 (born about 1829)

Stephen MOSS
10 (born about 1831)

Charles MOSS
8 (born about 1833)

John MOSS
1 (born about 1840)

Sarah BIGGS
50 (born between 1787 and 1791)

The family are living in Hackney and no occupation is given for either William Moss or Sarah Moss. I'm unsure about who Sarah Biggs is but she may be a relation...

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 July 16 12:19 BST (UK) »
I think this is the baptism, for anyone else looking, on Anc*

Emma Sarah Moss bapt. 25th Nov. 1858 ( born 1 May 1855) parents: John and Sarah of 30 Somerford Street. Father: Commercial Traveller

ODD ~ The same day Emma is baptized a James is baptized to John and Sarah born 1848. ~ is this the one you mention ?

So a John and Sarah baptize 2 children the same day.... who is Sarah ? The lady born 1800 in Dover or someone competely different.

Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 17 July 16 12:43 BST (UK) »
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)