Author Topic: Charles William Smith, Manchester  (Read 3351 times)

Offline jenn270

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Charles William Smith, Manchester
« on: Wednesday 27 July 16 01:04 BST (UK) »
Charles William Smith b. 1888 probably in Chelsea, son of Albert George Smith & Eliza Rose; lived adult life in Manchester or close to it. He married and had at least one son but I can't find out who he married, when he died or who his wife & child(ren) were. Family in Canada would love to reconnect with his descendants.

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charles William Smith, Manchester
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 July 16 17:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,

This is proving to be very difficult to answer - too many Smith's/Smyth's and a multitude of Christian names.

All I can find currently is that Albert George Smyth (father George Smyth - dec'd) married Eliza Amelia Rose (father Charles Rose - dec'd) on 17 December 1877 at Trinity Church, Upper Chelsea. Both were said to be of "full age" and both living at Upper Chelsea. Is this the right marriage?

Subsequently there appears to be the birth of a daughter Elizabeth Amelia Smith (baptised on 29 December 1878 at Chelsea). There was a Charles William Smyth born in Westminster area in April  1881 - could this be him?

If you have any more information it would really help (for example are you aware if he have any brothers or sisters).

Hopefully you have a few more details which may help.

Kind regards

Alan

Offline jenn270

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 July 16 19:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you for taking the time to look into this, Alan. Unfortunately Charles' father abandoned his wife & children and in time two of them went into the care of Dr. Barnardo. Elizabeth Amelia Smith (b. 1878) was the eldest and old enough to work but died at 26 in 1905 after having one child out of wedlock, a son named George Roland Smith (b. 1899) who also came to Canada but we have never found out what became of him either; perhaps in time he returned to England or went to the U.S. Next was a daughter named Alice (b. 1880) but we know nothing of her either and surmise that she must have died young. The next two were Ada (b. 1882) & Albert George (b. 1885), both of whom went to Barnardo & then were sent to Canada. Charles (b. 1888 in Chelsea) was able to stay with his mother and one of his nieces from Canada visited him in the Manchester area. Sadly she died and her children have no other info about him. We do have a picture of him with his wife and son but with no identifying information on it. His mother seems to have married two more times - first to a Crisp and then to John Whittaker in 1904. John Whittaker died before 1920 and we believe she lived her last years with Charles & family.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 July 16 10:58 BST (UK) »
I am not familiar with what is provided on the 1939 register, but I was wondering if Charles and family would be on it.

I don't have a subscription to Findmypast, but had a look on the free part and this came up:

Charles    Smith    1888    Manchester C.B.    Lancashire

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 July 16 11:30 BST (UK) »
hello,

do you have Charles with his mother in 1891 or 1901?
I might be looking at the wrong Eliza but the details in 1881, where she is the mother of Elizabeth Amelia and Alice, and the 1911 census entry for Elizabeth Whittaker don't match with age or birthplace.
I see you don't have a death for Alice but do you have a birth/baptism for Ada and the same for Charles?

heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jenn270

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 July 16 13:33 BST (UK) »
Correct; I have no further information on Alice. Ada was born 21 Mar 1882 according to Canadian records. For Charles I just have 1888 in Chelsea. Eliza married John Whittaker 22 Mar 1904 in London. Prior to that I am assuming she was using the surname Crisp in the 1890's. By 1911 Charles would have been living on his own somewhere. The census records have not helped me find Eliza either.
Alice certainly could have married and had a family but the Canadian part of the family know nothing about her and with a name like Alice Smith it is very hard to confirm a match.
I do thank you for looking!

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 July 16 13:54 BST (UK) »
I did see an earlier thread where you mentioned the birth place here

1911 Elizabeth Whittaker b 1862 Paddington

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XW85-3HN    Is this Elizabeth?

1881 Eliza Smith b 1855 Devon

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QK65-6W6T

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 28 July 16 14:05 BST (UK) »
Here is the earlier thread
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=583586.18

You mention here Elizabeth Crisp, maiden name Rose that her father was Alfred, a farmer.

When Eliza Amelia Rose married George Albert Smyth, her father shows as Charles Rose , watchmaker.

I am just puzzled.

Offline jenn270

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 28 July 16 14:13 BST (UK) »
I think someone else said that Elizabeth's father was Alfred. I have him shown as Charles, watchmaker, who died before she married in 1877. And yes, according to info given on one census record she was born in Paddington.