Author Topic: McLatchie family of Paisley  (Read 2285 times)

Offline Chris-history

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McLatchie family of Paisley
« on: Monday 01 August 16 11:50 BST (UK) »
Hello this is my first post.
My great great great grandfather Hall McLatchie was a mason and builder. He was born in Paisley in 1781 and was buried at Abbey Close on 6/7/1828. He died on the same day as another McLatchie so I suppose it was due to an accident. He married Grace McCallum on 20/06/1812 and had a child Janet in December 1818. I can't find any other children and don't know anything about his parents or siblings.
Thanks Chris

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: McLatchie family of Paisley
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 August 16 20:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

What was the name of the other person (McLatchie) who died?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 August 16 20:20 BST (UK) »
I can see this www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gsr&GSiman=1&GScid=2594424&GSfn=&GSln=mclatchie

Is this the ref to 2 deaths in 1828?  Cannot see any entries in the Old Parish Register burial & death indexes that could help here.

A few similarities there possibly. Have you actually seen the stones Chris? Wondering if there is different enterpretations of the same stone/person by different transcribers of the cemetery?

Is this your tree here, Chris? http://person.ancestry.co.uk/tree/58280102/person/34063507861/facts

Monica

Offline Chris-history

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 13:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica
According to the burials in Abbey Close graveyard, there are two headstones of interest. One is in memory of Hall McLatchie aged 47 who died on 6/7/1828 and the other is in memory of Hale McLatchie who died on 6/7/1828 aged 27. Maybe you are right and a person misread the writing on the second one, but why are there two headstones? He was a stone mason, so am not sure. And yes that is my family tree that you gave the link for on ancestry.

Thanks
Chris

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 22:02 BST (UK) »
Hard search for you Chris  :-\

There is this old post here on RC . Not sure if you have come across it www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=520439.0

Re the gravestones, they look so similar too don't they:

**** John Good, wife Anne ###, son John 16th January 1815 aged 14 years and their children by Hugh Hamilton with permission of John Good in memory of Hall McLatchie, mason, 6th ### 1828 aged 47 years.

0232 Erected by Hugh Hamilton in memory of Hale McLatchie, mason who died Ju# 6th 1828 aged 27 years.

www.happyhaggis.co.uk/renfrew-paisleyabbeyclose.htm

The name McLatchie is not common. Quite a bias towards Ayrshire isn't there for the surname, from the early censuses.

Re Janet and mother Grace, possible entries in the 1841 census. Both showing as working as domestic servants, in Bute and the Glasgow area. Cannot see anything really for mother mother Grace after that year.

Monica

Offline Chris-history

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 21:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all of your help Monica. I will leave it for now and start on another part of my family. It sounds like the family was poor after Hall died.
Best wishes
Chris

Offline Chris-history

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 August 16 22:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica

I found that Hall McLatchie was also known as James and that he married Greace McCalom on 20 June 1812 in Abbey, Paisley. She was born as Grizal McCalom in Abbey on 19 December 1790 according to Scotland select births and baptisms to Mary Gilkrus and Archbald McCalom. Grizal is a form of Grace. But still can't find Grace's death information, nor any other children apart from Janet. I am wondering if she remarried after Halls death. I don't know where the name Hall came from.

Thanks Chris

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 August 16 00:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris ,

Hall McLatchie had an apprentice who became a successful sculptor of his time - James Fillans https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Fillans.

Looby

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 August 16 21:15 BST (UK) »
Looby, that is an interesting find for James Fillans  :)

Chris, what is the source for Hall being also James?

....Re Janet and mother Grace, possible entries in the 1841 census. Both showing as working as domestic servants, in Bute and the Glasgow area. Cannot see anything really for mother Grace after that year.

This was as far as I could get with a possible entry for Grace in 1841. Apart from a marriage after Hall's death, she could also have died pre 1855, making her death details hard to establish.

Monica