Author Topic: Colun Islands, Mayo  (Read 2121 times)

Offline Owenwee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Colun Islands, Mayo
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 17:49 BST (UK) »
There is a new book out Croagh Patrick and the Islands of Clew Bay by  Michael Cusack. Maybe worth a look as he has detailed all the Islands. I was going to go on a boat tour around Clew Bay in May weather was too poor though,trip was to take you near Dornish Island owned by John Lennon at one time, I see this island is near Collan Beg.

Offline roderickpaulin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 23:02 BST (UK) »
Parish Islands were not islands in the middle of a body of water, but instead were areas attached to but not adjacent to a parish (like Norham being a part of Durham instead of Northumberland which surrounds it).
So Colum Island parish could refer to something similar- an area attached to Colum parish.
Anderson-Black-Bone-Brahant-Burnside-Cameron-Cook-Curle-Ferriss-Gilchrist-Gilmour-Goodson-Hahn-Holmes-Hodge-Kepple-Klingensmith-Lane-Laurie-Lounsbury-Malott-MacDonald-M*cGregor-M*cKay-M*cKenzie-M*cLennan-McArthur-McMillan-Meiklejohn-Melvin-Miller-Moir-Murray-Murray-Olding-O'Neil-O'Neil-Pat*erson-Paulin-Pentland-Pidgeon-Plenderleith-Redfield-Robertson-Sexsmith-Shuel-Spark-Steel-Stewart-Thomson-Torrence-Urquhart-Wardrope-Weir-Wilson-Wright.
surnames in direct line - going back 8 generations

Offline Owenwee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 15:47 BST (UK) »
CollanBeg and Collanmore  are Islands in Clew Bay,there are approx. 365 separate Islands or Drumlins, most of which were uninhabited  they were stretches of land under water with part showing above water level.On the larger Islands were app 1500 people living in 1841, now Collanmore has a holiday centre which you can stay at. The Clew Bay Islands are in the Parish of Burrishoole.

Offline joan

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 05 August 16 15:36 BST (UK) »
 :)Hello again, sorry but i just have to ask, how did Gaffy know Honour Browne wife of William was the informant on William's death?  Also that Bridge Browne, daughter in law nee Kerrigan, was the informant of Honor's death? I would have thought that this information could only have been got from the death certificates.  I wonder why Bridget informed and not Thomas as he was Honor's son and was alive at the time.

Also I will be looking into the book that Ownewee suggested and if these islands were so small how come people lived on them.

Thomas Browne was my husband's great grandfather and yet I know more about his brother John who emigrated to England, would anyone have been buried on the island of Collan Beg?

I do not mean to ask so many questions just can't help myself!  Is Irish genealogy always as complicated as I am finding it?

Joan

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 05 August 16 15:48 BST (UK) »

... how did Gaffy know Honour Browne wife of William was the informant on William's death?  Also that Bridge Browne, daughter in law nee Kerrigan, was the informant of Honor's death? I would have thought that this information could only have been got from the death certificates ....

That's where it came from Joan.  :)

Offline Owenwee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 06 August 16 20:43 BST (UK) »
 There is a subscription site called Rootsireland.ie   They have records taken from the registers.The Civil Death Record of William Brown on 25 March 1872 shows the details as given by Gaffy. It is rarely that they show cause of death, the informant on record it sometimes gives the relationship to deceased as with the record of Honor Brown in 1883 noted that Bridget Brown was her daughter in law.

A lot of people from the Islands are buried in the OLD Kilmeena Cemetery,i am not sure if any people were buried on the Islands but I would say not, you could contact the Westport Clew Bay Heritage centre and ask.The Islands come under the Kilmeena Parish,i presume that once William Brown died his wife Honor moved to the house in Knockfin,the home of her daughter in Laws people.The people from Knockfin would most likely be buried in Oughval sp Aughvale cemetery.

You can purchase the book via Amazon,there is  details of what it contains.The smaller Islands would not have been big enough to support  a living for people but the larger ones certainly had many people back from 1840c. Clare Island is one of the larger Island and is very popular with tourists, they have boats going over daily, as with the Collanmore Island Lodge.

Irish research is difficult the biggest hurdle is identifying the Townland your family came from, the fact you have found Collanbeg is a huge breakthrough.

Offline joan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 15 August 16 17:34 BST (UK) »
Hello again, thank you for the information, I am so pleased to have found William's address! just wish I could find out more but have today ordered the book on the Islands from Amazon so who knows what I might find out there.  I will also contact the Clew Bay Heritage Society could be more info there.  Once again thank you so much for your help. regards Joan.

Offline joan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 13 September 16 20:03 BST (UK) »
 :DHello to you all again, just to say that I have discovered a site, which I am sure you all know about already! it is IrishGenealogy.ie it is records put on there by the government and cover the following : births 1864-1915  -  Marriages 1882 - 1940   deaths 1891 - 1965.  The site is free and today I discovered Thomas Browne, he of "Colun Islands" he died aged 50 which I already kew but he died from bronchitis and the informant was his daughter, Mary, my husband's grandmother and she died aged 52 in 1932 from exhaustion and  anaemia also the death of Thomas' wife Bridget who died aged 76 from acute intestional obstruction.  So so far this is a s far as I have got but I thought I would share the site with all you lovely people who helped me, but as I say you all probably already know of it although it only came on line this week. regards to all Joan