Author Topic: Non-conformism in Great Dunmow in c1800  (Read 1224 times)

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Non-conformism in Great Dunmow in c1800
« on: Friday 05 August 16 22:59 BST (UK) »
James Lloyd (b Great Dunmow c1798) married and baptised his first child in Great Dunmow, but then moved to London. When he re-married in 1851 he gave his father as John Lloyd, miller.

The Protestant Dissenters Burial Ground in Great Dunmow refers to the burial of a Hephsibah Lloyd, aged 1, daughter of John Lloyd, miller, in 1806 who appears to be the same man. (There is also a burial for the child of a William Lloyd, miller, in 1808).

Are there any more non-conformist records that would shed any further light on John/William Lloyd and their family? At the very least it would be good to know what sort of miller John was, as there is another John Lloyd from Dunmow who was a timber merchant.

Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online warncoort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • James Edward Butcher, son John William 1925
    • View Profile
Re: Non-conformism in Great Dunmow in c1800
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 August 16 01:52 BST (UK) »
Site is down just now.Pay per view.
http://www.bmdregisters.co.uk/
Butcher Westmorland and Lancashire
Barton Westmorland and Yorkshire
Trethowan,Reeves Middlesex
Halsall,Green,Charters,Chatterton Lancashire
Smith, Moger, Maxfield Wiltshire
Woods,Speechley and Coles Huntingdonshire
Gibson,Blanks,Monk,Fokes Essex

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 August 16 10:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks. I had a look at that yesterday and couldn't get on, but your link will remind me to try again (although I have  feeling the records are missing from 1769-1800 which is just when I want them!).

Richard

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 August 16 10:10 BST (UK) »
Ref: Canada /British Regimental Registers. (on ancestry)
James Lloyd age 17 years 19 days (born 1794) height 5'4", hair light, visage long, eyes grey, occupation miller, born Dunmow.  assigned 3rd Foot Soldiers 2nd Battalion
There are 2 entries the second says his visage is oval instead of long otherwise the same information.
He signed up at Deal 1 May 1811 on both entries, the second gives Commander Stevenson W. Essex M. This probably stands for West Essex Militia.
Not sure if more info available at the National Archives, but this appears to be your James Lloyd.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 August 16 10:43 BST (UK) »
Checked the ERO they have a census of Great Dunmow 1821 done by the church it lists all residents and their occupations according to the index unfortunately its not on line.
Ref: D/P 11/18/33

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 August 16 10:44 BST (UK) »
Site is down just now.Pay per view.
http://www.bmdregisters.co.uk/

The same records are also available on Ancestry as part of a Premium or Worldwide subscription and many are also available on Findmypast.  They are also on TheGenealogist website too because the same company runs bmdregisters.

BMDRegister's exclusivity period expired several years ago.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 August 16 12:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all the replies: I hadn't seen the Canada entry on ancestry, so that was interesting. One of the entries appears to put him in the 1st Foot 4th Battalion, and one in the 3rd Foot 2nd Battalion which seems slightly odd.

My James was definitely the son of John Lloyd, miller; but he became a hatter in London and consistently gave his dob as c1798 (although he could have lied about his age when he joined up and his 1819 leaving does give him time to marry in December of that year), so this entry may turn out to be a cousin, given that there appears to be a William Lloyd, miller, also having children in Dunmow at the same time.

Three Lloyds (James, William and Cornelius) all left Dunmow at about the same time to become hatters in London, but I have yet to prove whether they are brothers, cousins or not related (or, indeed, why they became hatters rather than millers).

Richard