Author Topic: Lynton House School in Maidenhead  (Read 6019 times)

Offline Stuart House

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lynton House School in Maidenhead
« Reply #9 on: Monday 25 December 17 20:50 GMT (UK) »
I started at Lynton House when I was about 5 years old ,in1946. It is the only school I attended and left in December 1957. When I started the principles were a Mrs Hutchens and Mrs Sutton. Later Mrs Fuller and Mrs Wooster with Peggy Plumridge as the Head Mistress and Miss Mc Carthy the head of the Junior school which eventually was located in the adjacent property  called Shirley I remember when the  swimming pool was built , which was on a vegetable area .There are so many people I remember I could fill a book with information about the school. In 2002 we held a large reunion  and over 100 ex pupils attended, they came from various parts of the world .Mrs Fuller lived into her90,s and went to live with her family in Colchester, Miss Tyler also had a long life also Miss P Plumridge. I went to visit her a couple of times in Sidbury near Sidmouth, If I can help anyone with any information I may hold I would be pleased to do so .I still live in the area  and often pass where the school used to be situated. I enjoyed all my days there and felt it was a great shame that it had to close .I am still in touch with some of my old class friends.

Offline Stuart House

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 25 December 17 21:13 GMT (UK) »
This is for  P Cunningham. The lady you seek I think is Brenda Green she was a pupil at Lynton and then returned to teach . Brenda had a younger sister Margaret who was my dearest friend , although in a class higher ,we all lived in Altwood Bailey. Sadly Brenda passed away in her late 30 early 40 s , and Margaret passed away in2008. I am still in touch with Margaret s surviving daughter Nicola .Please let me know if you receive this information. I hope I have the correct Brenda.    Mary

Offline gayveal

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 07 November 19 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi,  I was at Lynton House School for 5 years from 1954 to 59.

I remember Miss Plumridge as being the absolute best teacher I ever had.  We learnt Shakespeare speeches and poems by heart, which I remember to this day.  I was pretty naughty, giggled a lot, sent out of class into corridor, or up to the heads!  Mrs Fuller and Ms Wocester.  The teacher who ran off with the groundsman (scandalous!!)  Miss Dark for singing - she had a black wart on her neck and we made up rude words for the songs (giggles again).  Mme Ledesert for French and geography.  Yes, the pool, I was captain of swimming!  Lancaster House.  Deportment flashes. Lacrosse in freezing weather.  Very good young history teacher fresh from uni.  Small bottles of milk at break.  Weekly boarded for the last term to try and get work done. I have to admit that the last day of school was my happiest. 
Love to you all xx

Offline Stuart House

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 07 November 19 23:24 GMT (UK) »
I too was at  Lynton  House and was in Stuart  House. I remember all the teachers  you mentioned and was in contact with the principles , Miss Plumridge  until their passing away,. I started at Lynton when I was  about 5 and left aged 16 and a half  in December 1957. My friends were Carol ,  Maureen , and Valerie , all these I still see at least once a year. Sadly Kirsteen  Loweth ,later Findlay passed away about 3 years ago , she had 2 younger sisters you may have known, What  was your surname at  school ?  are you  living in the Maidenhead area ? would like to converse with you more
Kindest  wishes,  Mary Cooper.

Names edited , living.

Offline Vivien Wilson

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 28 March 22 08:53 BST (UK) »
I went to Lynton house from the age of four in 1949 until it closed in about 1961.  My sister Jenifer (Jenie) was also at the school.  She was seven years older than me.  Mrs Harmsworth (spl?) was the lovely  kindergarten teacher.  She called me ‘a funny ossity’. I used to wonder what an ‘ossity’ was and why it was funny!  Miss  McCarthy and Mrs Bringes both taught in the junior school at Shirley.  I loved art and English, but hated sports, although, strangely I didn’t mind the chilly swimming pool.  I was originally in Tudor House, then Lancaster House where I was often in trouble for having too many bad marks for talking!  I remember both the Plumridge sisters who were terrific teachers.  I also liked French (Mme Ledesert) and German (Mrs Fuller).  Mrs Fuller never had time to mark our homework as she was headmistress along with Mrs Wooster.  I  was in the same class as Elizabeth Emmett, Lisa Roberts, the Johnson twins, Barbara Flook, Sassa Perkins and Penny Hopkins, Giane Charpentier.
I now live in Sydney, Australia.  Sadly my sister died a few years ago.  My first job was at Harraps where I worked for Rene Ledesert (the husband of our French teacher).  Interested to hear from others in my year.  Vivien (nee Fleck)

Offline Liz5893£

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 26 December 23 00:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone. I recently bought my son a gas mask for Christmas as he is total history nut and it’s got the name R B Robinson, Lyton House School on the outside. Would love to know if anyone has any idea who this might be.
Thank you
Liz x

Offline J H Anderson

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 20 April 24 17:23 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone. I recently bought my son a gas mask for Christmas as he is total history nut and it’s got the name R B Robinson, Lyton House School on the outside. Would love to know if anyone has any idea who this might be.
Thank you
Liz x
Thank you
Liz x

Hello Liz
I can answer your question:  R B Robinson is my mother, Ruth Barbara, who was at Lynton House School during the Second World War.  She is now 91 and I was visiting her today.  She talked about her school and I suggested we google it. 
Is there anything your son would like to ask her?
Quite extraordinary!