Author Topic: Morgan Mystery of train crash  (Read 1880 times)

Offline patchpear

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Morgan Mystery of train crash
« on: Tuesday 09 August 16 15:21 BST (UK) »
There were always family stories told of us not really being 'Morgans' due to a train crash and being adopted by the morgan family. I have spotted recently the 'round oak' train crash in 1858 and as the family seemed to be from Daisy Bank / Tipton area, this train crash is of interest.  However I need to find the actual birth record for JOSEPH MORGAN born Tipton, although on census with 2nd wife Leander Sophia Morgan (nee Spittle) he does seem to alter his age and name abit. Was he born a Morgan and to what parentage, or was he indeed the 'adopted child' that the stories speak of? Some census offer a birthyear of 1862, others 1873 so there is great confusion already. Alongside this he appears to have married twice with up to 18 children when combined with Leander's, who was also previously married it seems to a David Morgan.  Id appreciate some help with this please as it seems so complicated?

Offline patchpear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Morgan Mystery of train crash
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 August 16 15:34 BST (UK) »
Children of Joseph and Leander on 1911 census include:
Samuel, Thomas, William, Daisy, Elizabeth, David, Lily, Edith, Joseph, Robert, John, George

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 August 16 15:35 BST (UK) »
If he was born c1862 he couldn't have been orphaned in a crash in 1858

There is a Joseph Morgan born c1863 on the 1871 census in Tipton with parents Thomas and Ellen. Thomas is a labourer

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline jacquelineve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 August 16 15:38 BST (UK) »
Can't find a marriage for him to a Leander...

David Morgan + Leander Spittle June qtr 1894 Wolverhampton

Jackie
Dudley Worcs:Ellis Durkin Oakley Rich Smith
Baggot Saunders Turner Williams Hobbs
Harts Hill: Baggot Wright

Tipton:Whitehouse (boatman) Timmins
Yorkshire:Littlewood Wilcockson
Derbyshire:Wilcockson

Derby Belper:Spencer
Herefordshire Brampton Bryan:-Turner

Worcs. Hereford. Gloucs.
Hodgetts

Radnorshire: Meredith
Bristol Somerset: Box

Census Information is Crown Copyright from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline patchpear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 August 16 15:41 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for that, its helpful.  The dates are so varied it is frustrating. The only certain information I have is that Joseph who married Leander and fathered all those children is the correct one but how I trace backwards to find his accurate birth record is what is confusing me. I appreciate his birth date is later than the crash so wonder if it refers to the family in some other way? Also why on one census does his dob work out as 1873?

Offline patchpear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 August 16 15:45 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Jackie. That confirms Leanders first marriage to David, whom she had six children with.
She then 'married' or lived with my great grandfather Joseph Morgan (who was previously married) and had many more children including my Grandad.  I think having so many marriages is also complicating it  :(

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 August 16 15:58 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage in Sep Q 1914 between Leander S MORGAN and Josiah MORGAN  (Dudley 6b 1854) - according to West Midlands BMD it took place in Dudley register office.

Although the name is Josiah, rather than Joseph, I would guess that it's the same couple, and the certificate would (hopefully!) give Joseph/Josiah's father's name.

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 August 16 16:01 BST (UK) »
If you look on the 1911 census it says they have been married 2 years BUT on FreeBMD there is a marriage 1914 Dudley of a Josiah Morgan and Leander S Morgan

I think Joseph is actually called Josiah but goes by the name of Joseph it might be to invest in the marriage certificate

also there is a baptism 27.12.1874 at St Thomas Dudley of a Josiah born 25.6.1874 to parents David and Jane who would fit who you are looking for and there is a tree on Ancestry that has him down as Josiah not Joseph

Beat me to it Rambler  :P

Willow x

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline patchpear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 August 16 16:16 BST (UK) »
Interesting! I will try and purchase marriage cert.
Thank-you for your help