Author Topic: Clifton in omoy 1840'  (Read 3674 times)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Clifton in omoy 1840'
« Reply #27 on: Monday 31 July 17 22:58 BST (UK) »
She was quite well educated and I wonder if she was a governess.

I recall seeing somewhere a mention of her joining the Public School in Shanghai circa 1886 as Assistant Teacher of English ("an experienced teacher"). That after her business career as a milliner. 
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 08:29 BST (UK) »
Re the Millinery business:

"The first modistes appear about 1859, and from one of these, Mrs. Clifton, wife of the then ex-Superintendent of Police, took over a millinery business in 1861"  (The History of Shanghai: Lanning, Couling)

" Mrs Clifton, successor to Mrs. Marsh, Millinery and Drapery Establishment, Consulate Road ..."   https://goo.gl/atJYZe

Extract from 1867 China directory: 

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 09:27 BST (UK) »
Teaching - I am assuming this is her, but it could be a daughter-in-law:

" ...in getting the assistance of Mrs. Clifton, an experienced teacher" (North China Herald, 23 July 1886)

"the engagement of Mrs F. Clifton, as Assistant English teacher " (North China Herald, 1 December 1886)

Extracts from 1888 China Directory:

Offline brionne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 13:02 BST (UK) »
Regards your initial question as to how Miss Fanny Jones arrived at Amoy China 1840,my guess is that she was a Governess to a high ranking British family and sailed out with them.
The Ist Opium War was just getting started that year,16 British warships arrived in Hong Kong in June, 1840.
Doubt if she was ever a missionary,as the authorities did not allow any freedom of movement for them throughout China until the mid 1850s.
Frances / Fanny would have had to have been under the protection of British folk of some sort,as there was so much uncertainty in China at that point.Just my thoughts,and sorry I do not highlight.
Dyer,Wilts,Weare Somerset Dorset Wilts.
Weare/Robinson Ottawa Canada.Petty Wilts.
Simper Wilts.West Wilts.West Vermont.Kelsey Surrey.Chappell
Chapel Essex.McPherson,M Pherson MacPherson
Perthshire Scotland,Cork,Dublin,Drogheda Ireland.
Census information Crown Copy right from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 20:36 BST (UK) »
Yes I think the governess scenario makes sense. Now for me to find out to whom. Thank you to you and Shaun. Looking at the notes Shaun provided out of interest the A.S.T Clifton mentioned is Alfred Samuel Theodore her son. She would have been quite old as a teacher but I will search further among that way as it is interesting. Ty.my search always continues and I love the social history of it all.fred
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline brionne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 23:23 BST (UK) »
FindAGrave have a few more recent British persons burials listed in Shanghai with variable information giving cemetery addresses.Theres a note with one entry saying information was given by The University of Bristol,might be worth following up to see what else they may have on China.
Dyer,Wilts,Weare Somerset Dorset Wilts.
Weare/Robinson Ottawa Canada.Petty Wilts.
Simper Wilts.West Wilts.West Vermont.Kelsey Surrey.Chappell
Chapel Essex.McPherson,M Pherson MacPherson
Perthshire Scotland,Cork,Dublin,Drogheda Ireland.
Census information Crown Copy right from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 23:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I do correspond with Bristol university. They have helped me in past and I send on any titbits I find. I will look into it again this week. My interest has been piqued again. Ty.fred
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..