Author Topic: Brixham Prince of Wales Inn  (Read 2737 times)

Offline carolmc

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brixham Prince of Wales Inn
« on: Saturday 13 August 16 12:37 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know the location of The Prince of Wales Inn, Quay, Brixham please? Landlords Charles King Hele and his son, also Charles King Hele led a very interesting lives during the 1800's with lots of newspaper reports of their antics, the most intriguing being the attempted murder of Hele senior trying to murder his wife.

I would be interested to know which building was the Inn and if any photos exist please.
regards carolmc

Offline cemetery friends

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Brixham Prince of Wales Inn
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 August 16 18:11 BST (UK) »
According to entry http://pubshistory.com/Devon/Brixham/index.shtml there does not seem to be a phograph available
Avery [Wembury]
Skilton [Hooe, Turnchapel, Plymstock and Coxside Plymouth]
Williams [Plymstock/Oreston]
Maritime subjects inc Titanic, HMS Hardy, HMS Thetis [submarine]
UK cemetery conservation
Cholera
Victorian social history

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 August 16 10:43 BST (UK) »
It seems very strange that I can't find any photos or information about the pubs which have disappeared from Brixham. 

I have been trying to trace the location of the DOLPHIN INN, Quay Street, Brixham.... landlord at 1871 census: Thomas Jackman.

But Mr Google is not being very helpful!

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 August 16 11:50 BST (UK) »
following enumerator's walk on 2 census - the Prince of Wales Inn was next door to the Victory Inn
There was a marine store the other side of the Victory Inn
landlords
1878 Charles William King Hele (& occ Carter)
1889 Charles King Hele
1893 Charles King Hele

was Charles William the father & Charles the son?

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 August 16 13:26 BST (UK) »
adding to suzards post looks like the carey arms [william hutchings ] then the dolphin [ thomas arthur jackman then ] victory arms [william honeychurch] in 1871 census .
regards
trevor
ps a google street view still shows pubs next to each other but cant find any property house numbers
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 August 16 17:40 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure how much this helps, but I decided to go and check out the Directories at the library for more information about the Inns of Brixham.

Most of the Directories do not contain information about the taverns, however I found an 1850 Gazeteer & Directory of Devonshire by William White.

There is a list of the public houses of Brixham, each with a number,  that identifies the area of the building in the town.

Number 1 area is stipulated as "on the beach" and I have a map dated "about 1850" which is the centerfold of the little book, "Brixham" by John R Pike.

This map shows the road now known as "The Strand", that runs along the inner end of the harbour, was known as "The Beach" at that time.

The current "Sprat & Mackerel" which used to be called "The Commercial Inn" is still open and is situated towards the sea wall end of The Quay, and the Crown & Anchor is still trading next door.  "The Rising Sun" now know as "The Lusty Wench" is situated on The Quay, roughly opposite the end of what is now The Strand.

"The Bullers Arms" is still trading and is situated on The Strand.

None of which tells us the location of The Prince of Wales, The Dolphin, or The Victory.   :-\ 

Actually "The Prince of Wales" is not even listed, but I would hazard a guess it might have been "The Old George" in 1850??

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Carolmc:

I found this photo in the little book by Chips Barber, "Brixham of Yesteryear Part lll". [Published 1995]

It shows "what is now known as Quay 7," and the building to the left later became the fishermen's Institute.

The large lamp says on the glass "Banfield  Old George Inn".

Perhaps someone might be able to enhance it for you?

Offline carolmc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 February 17 08:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Thank you for the info, it's the best lead we have had. We've been to Brixham and found the narrow streets very difficult to drive around! We hoped to find the building of the Prince of Wales Inn, but next time we're there we'll take another look. Carolmc

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 February 17 09:15 GMT (UK) »
adding to suzards post looks like the carey arms [william hutchings ] then the dolphin [ thomas arthur jackman then ] victory arms [william honeychurch] in 1871 census .
regards, Trevor.
ps a google street view still shows pubs next to each other but cant find any property house numbers. 

Using Freecen the 1891 census shows the George Hotel in York Square. 
The next entry is QUAY starting at the end of The Strand. Inns mentioned:
First "Rising Sun" (Putt) then 7 households, possibly several in one building, then a marine store.
"Victory"  (Trush) next door to
"Prince of Wales"
Fish store, 5 more households, shop.... Ice House, (this building still stands).
"Crown & Anchor" next door "Commercial" - both still trading.
Then 6 more households, which brings us to Overgang Steps.  At this end of the Quay the property numbers are now up to 25.

So the "Prince of Wales" was definitely between The Rising Sun, and the building which was the Ice House.

Next time I visit I will take the book with me, and give it some thought.