Author Topic: Worthing  (Read 1527 times)

Offline KA

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Worthing
« on: Tuesday 16 August 16 18:21 BST (UK) »
Odd one this.  But I am trying to track down the history of one of our cars.  In November 1938 the car was registered to it new owner.  That bit is fine.  However on the record I have obtained from the Sussex Records office I can't read the name of the dealer.  Hadson/Hadors/Hadons?  The purchaser was resident Worthing.  And the same dealer sold a group of four - all Worthing.  But I only have one full dealers name to go on, The remainder are ditto marks.  I realise the dealer may have been located elsewhere, but I have to start somewhere.

Does anybody have a history of the area, or even have memories that can remember a car dealership that began Hal?.

I know its a long shot.  But the Rootchatters have an uncanny knack of finding the impossible, so I thought it worth the chance.

Kx

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
Re: Worthing
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 August 16 18:39 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I've just asked my Mum who went to school in Worthing and she doesn't remember anywhere with those names - could you put the name on here so we can have a go at reading it?  Do you have a name of the person who sold the car?

Liz

ADDED: Mum says do you have an address for the dealership - or name of road?
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KA

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 August 16 19:20 BST (UK) »
I've attached a scan.  Now, it looks bad, but I have a photocopy from the Records Office, and it appears some of the information was originally written in pen, and some in pencil.  And the entry I'm interested in is in pencil. So the entry is not clear at all.  Specifically seventh one down. 

Hyatt      Standard 12
Worthing

Hope it helps.

KA

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 August 16 19:34 BST (UK) »
Oh dear - I see what you mean! 

I wonder if it is worth putting this on the deciphering board - there are some really good people on there.

My Mum is, in the meantime studying it carefully and thinking back to her school days though she says in her family only an Uncle had a car so she had no reason to really know anything about Worthing's garages!

Liz

PS Where have all the smileys gone?
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 August 16 19:46 BST (UK) »
There is this garage that sys it has been trading for around 90 yrs  in Worthing http://www.seaplacegarage.co.uk/

The Address is 67/69 Goring Road, Worthing.
If you have access to 1939, if you look up the address there is a garage there and one of the names is Hodder.

Cathy

Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline petmas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • We wunt be druv
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 August 16 10:01 BST (UK) »
From Pikes directory 1914, Motor car manufacturers and dealers
Adcock, H. C. High street
Briggs, E. W. 1 Teville road, and
Garage, Chapel road
Knight, F. C. Broadwater street
Marriott, W. J. 58 Portland road
Neville, Miss, 4 The Steyne
Norfolk Garage, foot of Railway
Bridge, Chapel road
Oates, R. 5 The Broadway
Ray, F. and Sons, 79 Chapel road
Searle, E. J. Lyndhurst Garage,
Lyndhurst road
Stent and Son, Nelson Garage, Ann
street,. and Gratwicke Garage
Gratwicke road
Wade, W. 30 Chapel road and Marine
Parade
John Hollands (Ironmonger) The Garage, High St W. Tarring
Mason ( Leics, Lincs, Cambs, Rutland)  Packer( Berks, Middx) Bearne, Vining , Sugar Shugar (Somerset, Pennsylvania & S Wales)

Offline KA

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 August 16 17:08 BST (UK) »
Very interesting.  Especially the reference to Hollands Ironmongers Tarring.  On the attachment (third one down) I could make out Hollands and then underneath a word I couldn't make out, but now looks like Tarring. 

I'm wondering if my entry is also Hollands, but the space has meant the handwriting has been squashed.

KA

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 17 August 16 17:26 BST (UK) »
I see that West Sussex libraries hold copies of Sussex County Directories at various libraries, one being my local one, if nothing has come to light in the meantime I'll have a look either later tomorrow or Friday.

You could also contact Worthing Reference Library on 01903 704824 or worthing.reference.library@westsussex.gov.uk for advice/help.  I've found them very helpful in the past.

Offline KA

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 17 August 16 18:06 BST (UK) »
That would be wonderful.  I will also give the reference library a quick email.

KA