Author Topic: John Luffman b 1776 St. Mary's parish (In or near the city of York)  (Read 775 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
John Luffman b 1776 St. Mary's parish (In or near the city of York)
« on: Thursday 18 August 16 19:00 BST (UK) »
According to his military discharge document from Kilmainham in 1811 John, my 2xgreat grandfather was born in 1776 in St. Mary's Parish "In or near the city of York" I am aware that both the former West and North Ridings may come into this search, but I have looked at the baptisms for the St. Mary's' parishes within the city. That leaves St. Mary's Haxby; Thorp Arch and any others you can think of. This is surprising as I have other evidence which strongly suggests that he was baptised at Henstridge Somerset in 1777 "the base son of Betty Meechard" He joined the Somerset Fencibles at Bath in 1793; and if his birth is proved in Yorkshire he would be the earliest known.

Any help greatly appreciated. This brickwall is now over 20 years old.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Luffman b 1776 St. Mary's parish (In or near the city of York)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 November 16 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Bringing this back up Roger for a response as someone may be able to help.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 November 16 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Carol.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 November 16 17:22 GMT (UK) »
I know Gogogadgetlegs has a lot of parish records and is very helpful...hope he sees it for you.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 November 16 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Using FindMyPast and the name John Luffman for Yorkshire Baptisms, BTs,  North Yorkshire Baptisms and North Yorkshire NC baptisms - no results at all, any dates. Sorry  :'(
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 November 16 19:26 GMT (UK) »
That is what I expected, and fits another theory I have which I am unwillingly to go into at present wince it would greatly deter any potential replies. (Sorry for the mystery)