Author Topic: Can anyone help identify the age of this old photo please of Commander McKirdy  (Read 945 times)

Offline millertf

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can anyone help identify the age of this photo please
Believed to be a Commander McKirdy
At one time I thought it was Lieut. Commander Robert McKirdy of the Isle of Bute b. 1777 d. 1846  however I now think that is unlikely due to the infancy of photography at the time. I am wondering if it might be his grandson, Cdr. RNR John Mckirdy (MacKirdy) b. 1848, d. 1909. Robert McKirdy was commander of HMS Martial of Bute. His grandson John was Capt. and Supt. of the "shaw saville shipping line" in 1902
Thanks

Offline Handypandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone help identify the age of this old photo please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 August 16 23:59 BST (UK) »
Sleeve markings are of a Commander, Royal Navy Reserve.

Lieut. Commander is two stripes and Captain is four stripes.

Online Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 August 16 10:07 BST (UK) »
It's a great photo.  I would say you are likely correct about him being the grandson - how old does he look to you - 40's?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 August 16 10:13 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat...I would agree with Grandson in his late 30s early 40s. Great photo...a scan of the back would helpt tp pin it down.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 August 16 11:43 BST (UK) »
I would go for grandson and sometime in the 1890's.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline millertf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 August 16 15:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for your help in identifying my relative. The consensus is Cdr. RNR  and I will rename the photo John Mckirdy. John was a brother to my Great Grandmother Annabella Miller nee Mckirdy.
I have another picture that I am unable to identify that I have attached. I would like to identify the ship in the picture collage attached. This collage was put together by my Great grandmother (the young girl in the lower image held by her mother Mary Mckirdy (nee Gilchrist).....all from Rothesay, Bute, Scotland. The lower picture is about 1861. Can anyone identify the ship or give me an idea of the time frame ?  I can not identify any of the other individuals in the collage.
Thanks
Tom...Canada