Author Topic: CATHERINE POWES/POWIS and EDWARD GILLOT  (Read 254 times)

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Great grandma Elsie (right) & sister Evelyn (left)
    • View Profile
CATHERINE POWES/POWIS and EDWARD GILLOT
« on: Friday 19 August 16 16:46 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

I have a marriage of my  8x great grandparents at Rotherham Minster on 6 Jan 1725 - Edward Gillet/Gillot (aged 22 years, a farmer) and Catherine Powes/Powis/Powls (aged 21 years), by license.

I've found the baptism of Edward (he's the son of Edward Gillot Snr of Kimberworth, baptized 1703 at Rotherham), I'm struggling however to locate any siblings - perhaps a William (bap 02 Jul 1709 at Rotherham, son of Edward Snr) and a John (bap 09 May 1716 at Rotherham, son of Edvardi Snr a farmer of Kimberworth).
I believe Edward Snr may have married Mary Willy in Rotherham on 23rd August 1703 - if that's correct it would suggest Mary was heavily pregnant at the time of marriage.

I'm struggling to find anything on Catherine Powis/Powes/Powls - which may be due to the number of spellings of her surname on records. I found her burial record (buried 11 Jul 1779 at Rotherham, aged 75 years) which again suggests a birth year of 1704.

Help finding their family (parents and siblings) would be a massive help, as I haven't had much luck so far.

Many thanks,
Holly
A Yorkshire girl tracing her ancestry.
Discovering that I'm not as English as my family once thought.

Ashforth | Watson | Smith | Davies | Beech | Matthews | Moxon | Heaton | Emmerson | Parkin | Cook | Venables | Perrins | Parsons | Whiteley | Blackburn | Badger | Cullen | McWeeny/McWeeney | Steventon | Walters | Copley | Chapman | Wild | Garrity | Blewitt | Larkin |

DNA Results: 40% Great Britain, 24% Scandinavian, 17% Western European, 15% Irish, 4% Iberian Peninsula.