Author Topic: Struggling to locate a baptism - Mary Sanderson, 1700's  (Read 314 times)

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Great grandma Elsie (right) & sister Evelyn (left)
    • View Profile
Struggling to locate a baptism - Mary Sanderson, 1700's
« on: Monday 22 August 16 17:05 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

Currently tracing an ancestor by the name of Joseph Adams. Luckily for me, one of his younger brothers (John Adams) had a very detailed baptism record, which not only named his parents, but also his grandparents and two great grandparents!
So I had a lot of names to work with, and began searching for the records to prove the baptism information to be correct.
Joseph and John's parents were James Adams (blacksmith of Thurnscoe) and Mary Sanderson (daughter of John Sanderson and Ann Johnson).

Mary Sanderson is whom I am struggling with - I know she married James Adams on 15th Jun 1762 in Worsbrough/Darfield, and I know her parents (John Sanderson and Ann Johnson) married on 26th Feb 1733 in Darton. Mary's father John was a labourer of 'Long Emsall' according to John Adam's baptism in 1778. So I'm thinking that Mary Sanderson's birth and baptism would be between 1733-1746 around the area of Darton/Darfield/Worsbrough, maybe Sheffield if it was at the Cathedral.
I did find two Mary Sanderson's baptized at Sheffield, but from the (slightly hard to read) image, it looks as if her father was cutler instead of a labourer.

Help with this would be greatly appreciated as always,
thank you,
Holly
A Yorkshire girl tracing her ancestry.
Discovering that I'm not as English as my family once thought.

Ashforth | Watson | Smith | Davies | Beech | Matthews | Moxon | Heaton | Emmerson | Parkin | Cook | Venables | Perrins | Parsons | Whiteley | Blackburn | Badger | Cullen | McWeeny/McWeeney | Steventon | Walters | Copley | Chapman | Wild | Garrity | Blewitt | Larkin |

DNA Results: 40% Great Britain, 24% Scandinavian, 17% Western European, 15% Irish, 4% Iberian Peninsula.