Author Topic: Beswick Place or Buildings, Brownlow Street, Liverpool  (Read 1272 times)

Offline AddictedtoFamilyTree

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Grandad <3
    • View Profile
Beswick Place or Buildings, Brownlow Street, Liverpool
« on: Wednesday 24 August 16 01:21 BST (UK) »
Has anyone come across any mention of, old photos or reference to Beswick Place on Brownlow Street in Liverpool?

I have a child in my tree born in March 1878 then baptised 18 August 1878 and her address is given as 4 Beswick Place, Brownlow Street, Liverpool. She sadly dies and is burried a few days after her baptism at Walton Park on 21 Aug 1878 and her address is given as 4 Brownlow Street. A year later in Aug 1879 their next child is born and baptised and the address changes slightly again to 4 Beswick Buildings, Brownlow Street. More confusingly I've found second baptisms for some of the children at a Roman Catholic church  ??? would this be if Mum was Catholic and Dad was not maybe? They're round the corner at Pembroke St 2 Court No 5 in 1881.

I wondered if it had been the address for the workhouse or infirmary but I've read other posts that suggest the infirmary was 144 Brownlow Street? I can see a mix of buildings on the right hand side with google maps if you're looking down with Pembroke Street to your right and the buildings that were formerly the workhouse to your left but I can't see anymore.

4 Brownlow Street now comes up as part of the university and the Jane Herdman building, but from what I can find it was purpose built in the early 1900s.
Frost, Quine, Stowell, Atherton, Gill.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Beswick Place or Buildings, Brownlow Street, Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 August 16 07:44 BST (UK) »
I don't have access  to my favourites at present where I have some decent maps of Liverpool, but will check later if no one has been able to narrow down these precise locations in the mean time.

Beswick Buildings may be a row of buildings facing Brownlow Street, and may not be marked on maps. I don't know if Beswick Place would be the same as Beswick Buildings, or if it is a different but similarly named address.

Here is a side by side, though it doesn't help with your quest:
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebyside.cfm#zoom=16&lat=53.4085&lon=-2.9698&layers=171&right=BingHyb

I will return later to help you further.  :)

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 August 16 08:13 BST (UK) »
I visited the Metropolitan Cathedral of Christ the King AKA  as the Liverpool R.C.  Cathedral  several years ago,   and they have photographs of the area around the site circa 1880.    There was a complex of workhouse  buildings in that area.    I will now consult   my maps  and the photographs on the web  to find documentary proof for you.

Added:     Go to www.liverpoolmetrocathedral.org.uk/the-workhouse-site/        for  details of the history of the site
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 August 16 08:27 BST (UK) »
That'll be Berwick Place and Berwick or Berwick's Buildings. "No. 1, Court (called Berwick’s-buildings), on the east side of Brownlow-street, Liverpool" (Liverpool Mail. November 1861)
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 August 16 08:30 BST (UK) »
That'll be Berwick Place and Berwick or Berwick's Buildings. "No. 1, Court (called Berwick’s-buildings), on the east side of Brownlow-street, Liverpool" (Liverpool Mail. November 1861)

Thanks Shaun. That should help in the search.  :)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 August 16 08:38 BST (UK) »
We note that the Workhouse is not the address you are seeking Addictedtofamilytree, as you said in your opening post.

We are seeking Berwicks Buildings and Berwick Place on the east side of Brownlow Street (as found by Shaun)..

Can you find those Scouseboy?

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 August 16 08:56 BST (UK) »
"...to stop up Dover-street, Back Brownlow-street, and Berwick-place, and use the sites  for the purposes of the act, .......erecting the Liverpool University College thereon.."

("Liverpool Improvement Bill" Liverpool Mercury 1 December 1881)
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Grandad <3
    • View Profile
Re: Berwick Place or Buildings, Brownlow Street, Liverpool
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 August 16 09:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you Shaun for the correction to Berwick, a few more things have come up for Berwick Place. The 1851 Census street list has Berwick Place on Pembroke St instead of Brownlow though but I can see how thats possible from the map. If it was courts like the Pembroke St address why didn't they write it like that?

I also found this from the university but the document doesnt seem to include the plans and drawings which are mentioned which would have been helpful / interesting.

1 Plan of Property / corner of / Brownlow St[ree]t and Dover St bounded on N by Dover Street, on S by
Line of railway cutting, on E by Back Brownlow Street & on W by Brownlow Street
Scale: 1/10in to 1ft
Insc: As above, 8237, labelled to include Brownlow Place & Brownlow Terrace & Brownlow Buildings
& Berwick Place & Medical School E of Back Brownlow St & with notes about Rock depths above
datum line
s: David Howarth & Son / Surveyors / Church Buildings / 2 Whitechapel / Liverpool
Pen & red, pink & grey washes (1050 x 1065, on linen)
The drawing shows, so it seems, the original street pattern and, in grey wash, the existing properties.
Superimposed on the drawing are - unlabelled and in red wash - the chemical laboratory and William
Gossage building and - labelled and in pink wash - the medical school. The notes about the rock depths
are in AW's hand. See also No. 53 and the note thereto.

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Grandad <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 August 16 09:11 BST (UK) »
"...to stop up Dover-street, Back Brownlow-street, and Berwick-place, and use the sites  for the purposes of the act, .......erecting the Liverpool University College thereon.."

("Liverpool Improvement Bill" Liverpool Mercury 1 December 1881)

Maybe thats why they moved on to Pembroke St? Thanks :)