Author Topic: Mildred and Arthur Hornby and Thorpe-Cote Halsham/Roos/Turnstall  (Read 733 times)

Offline elaineb37

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mildred and Arthur Hornby and Thorpe-Cote Halsham/Roos/Turnstall
« on: Saturday 27 August 16 14:03 BST (UK) »
Mildred Hornby, nee Heseltine formerly Smith is my second cousin born in 1902 in Newcastle upon Tyne.  Now that I have ‘discovered’ Mildred  through my family history research I have so many questions!

Her first husband Norman Smith died in 1940, Mildred then married Arthur Hornby who was a market  gardener in 1950.  They married in All Saints Church Turnstall in Roos.  Just over two years later in 1952 Mildred died of lung cancer.  She is buried in All Saints. I don’t know if there is a headstone if anyone happens to be wandering around the graveyard and could take a look for me I would be extremely grateful!

I don’t know how or why she ended up living in Halsham/Roos, there were no children from either marriage. Her parents had both died by the end of the 1940’s she lived with her father following Norman’s death.  Her occupation on her marriage certificate (to Arthur) is ‘Shoe Buyer’ this is the first indication of a profession that I have for her, on her marriage to Norman no occupation is given.  Her address and that of Arthur is simply give as ‘Roos’  on their marriage certificate.  In her Will her address is given as Thorpe-Cote Halsham this is also given as her address on the death certificate and as the place where she died

I can’t find any location for Thorpe-Cote – at first I wondered if it was a village but now I am wondering if it is the name of a house?  As Arthur was  a market gardener perhaps it was a small holding/farm.  If anyone with local knowledge of the area has any information I would be very grateful - Elaine
Harle Reed Norwood Dixon Heseltine

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mildred and Arthur Hornby and Thorpe-Cote Halsham/Roos/Turnstall
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 August 16 14:13 BST (UK) »
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 August 16 14:18 BST (UK) »
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 August 16 15:00 BST (UK) »
just did a google street view and thorpe cote is on daltons lane halsham one of the first if not the first bungalow you come to on the right hand side going down daltons lane .
regards
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline elaineb37

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 August 16 16:20 BST (UK) »
Carol and Trevor, thank you so much for your help!

I may never find out how or why Mildred ended up living in Halsham but I like to think she was very happy there, in her Will she leaves most of her Estate to her 'dear husband Arthur' but she also leaves small bequests to her two sisters-in-law and also to two friends in Halsham for 'kindness shown on several occasions'!

Elaine
Harle Reed Norwood Dixon Heseltine