Author Topic: Buchanans (Robert, Catherine Elizabeth, Alexander)  (Read 898 times)

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Buchanans (Robert, Catherine Elizabeth, Alexander)
« on: Tuesday 30 August 16 16:55 BST (UK) »
I wondered whether anyone has knowledge of this branch of the Buchanans? Please note the following is my interpretation of what I've found out so far -- feel free to correct me if I've got facts wrong. There are a LOT of Buchanans in Scotland and I may well have mixed them up!
Robert Buchanan was resident in Barony, Glasgow, and died sometime before 1846 when his daughter Catherine Elizabeth Buchanan married Alexander Buchanan of Arnprior on 14 January. I think CEB was 15. She gave birth to their only child -- another Catherine Elizabeth -- on 16 November the same year. Alexander died in 1847 and CEB in September 1848.
1) were Robert and Alexander related? If so how?
2) does anybody know anything about Robert? I think he was a 'merchant'. I can't find his actual death.
3) can anyone give me any more information about Alexander?
Condick; Bull (Herefordshire only); Layard; Wilmot; Southgate; Fowlie (Singapore branch); Usher (Dundrum); Kelley (Lancashire);

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Buchanans (Robert, Catherine Elizabeth, Alexander)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 11:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Queencorgi1

To start:

Alexander was the son of Alexander Snr who died 1845.

http://www.buchanan-heraldry.net.nz/body/achleshie.html
"Alexander, of Arnprior whose son also Alexander, had a daughter Catherine Elizabeth Grace Buchanan, who in 1869 married John Baillie-Hamilton, who assumed the surname of Buchanan before Baillie-Hamilton"

http://www.buchanan-heraldry.net.nz/body/baillie.html
"Alexander Buchanan of Arnprior died in 1848, leaving an only daughter and heiress, Catherine Elizabeth Grace Buchanan of Arnprior. Catherine Buchanan of Arnprior, heiress of Alexander Buchanan, married in 1869 John Baillie-Hamilton who assumed the additional surname of Buchanan before Baillie-Hamilton. The couple have issue"

The daughter, Catherine Elizabeth Grace BUCHANAN, appears to be in Mamhead Devon in both 1851  (aged 4) and 1861 (aged 14) , as a Boarder in household of Henry Hugh COURTNAY, Rector of Mamhead with his (English) wife and 2 sons, plus 8 servants.

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 11:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Ambly!

Thanks for responding, I am most grateful. I actually had those references already because my primary interest is actually in Catherine (the younger)'s son Neil Baillie-Hamilton, and I worked backwards from him. I am hoping to understand why Catherine was sent such a long way away from her birthplace. It appears that she was an heiress, which might have something to do with it.
Thank you for giving me Alexander Snr! As I have already said, there are so many Buchanan families it is extremely useful to tie any relationships together.

With best wishes
Queencorgi
Condick; Bull (Herefordshire only); Layard; Wilmot; Southgate; Fowlie (Singapore branch); Usher (Dundrum); Kelley (Lancashire);

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 20:16 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at the Wills & Testaments section on Scotlandspeople ?

There are matches for Alexander(1846 & 1848) and Catherine(1849)

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 21:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you! I found Alexander but not Catherine. Will check it out. :)