Author Topic: Many Questions About DNA Testing  (Read 8319 times)

Offline lemur41

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Many Questions About DNA Testing
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 08 January 17 11:47 GMT (UK) »
David

Thanks for the offer. I don't need help as such, have spent a fortune on the correct paper records from VIC & NSW records .
I need a DNA match to prove that my "2 missing female  1st cousins x 3 times removed" are actually

related to me.  They are recorded on both dc's for their parents, I just can't find them or rather the DNA match yet.

Thanks again

Offline Spike H

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 08 January 17 21:08 GMT (UK) »
2 things. I asked my mother and she refused.

The other thing , I use gedmatch and one of their features is they show which chromosome you match on. ie I will match with another person on Chromosone 18

My question is if we match on Ch18 if I then search all my CH18 matches then we ALL should have a closer paper match we can identify, is this correct? ( not sure if this will make sense)

You can put your Chr18 matches in a spreadsheet then sort them by start point. You will see distinct groups where the segments match or overlap. It is possible that some of these people share a common ancestor with you. You would need to use the One to one tool with each against the other to see if they share DNA with each other as well as you. What you will probably find is two groups within all those groups. One group will be related through your mother, the other through your father. You might know which through existing paper trails.
Not very well explained, but google Triangulation. Gedmatch has a Tier One Triangulation Tool that will do the heavy lifting and sorting on all chromosomes.
UK: Lee, Swift
CON: Davey, Harding, Hocking, Rule, Whinnen
AUST: McIntosh

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 08 January 17 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried DNAGedcom David?  It's free.   

At the moment I've only used it with FtDNA and it's very useful for sorting matching segments into two sides, and nice colour-coded tables.  You may not know which side is which though, and with some people you can't tell.  Plus if you hover the cursor over a name it shows ancestral surnames (if they've included them on FtDNA) and who their ICWs are with you.

If you have a Tier1 sub at Gedmatch you can download a report and upload to DNAGedcom. 

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 08 January 17 22:28 GMT (UK) »
2 things. I asked my mother and she refused.

The other thing , I use gedmatch and one of their features is they show which chromosome you match on. ie I will match with another person on Chromosone 18

My question is if we match on Ch18 if I then search all my CH18 matches then we ALL should have a closer paper match we can identify, is this correct? ( not sure if this will make sense)

You can put your Chr18 matches in a spreadsheet then sort them by start point. You will see distinct groups where the segments match or overlap. It is possible that some of these people share a common ancestor with you. You would need to use the One to one tool with each against the other to see if they share DNA with each other as well as you. What you will probably find is two groups within all those groups. One group will be related through your mother, the other through your father. You might know which through existing paper trails.
Not very well explained, but google Triangulation. Gedmatch has a Tier One Triangulation Tool that will do the heavy lifting and sorting on all chromosomes.
No that was good thank you

Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 08 January 17 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried DNAGedcom David?  It's free.   

At the moment I've only used it with FtDNA and it's very useful for sorting matching segments into two sides, and nice colour-coded tables.  You may not know which side is which though, and with some people you can't tell.  Plus if you hover the cursor over a name it shows ancestral surnames (if they've included them on FtDNA) and who their ICWs are with you.

If you have a Tier1 sub at Gedmatch you can download a report and upload to DNAGedcom.
I will chase the DNAGedcom . I will not be getting Tier1 just yet :)

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Scott, Cronin

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 11 January 17 05:52 GMT (UK) »
The interface between FtDNA and DNAGedcom isn't working at the moment David.  From their Facebook page it sounds like it will be like that for a while.   FtDNA has turned something off because it was slowing up their page.

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 11 January 17 07:42 GMT (UK) »
David, a bit of nagging might persuade your mum. Or perhaps try bribery.

Shame she has refused. Do you know why? (erhaps because she has b=never told you, you may have beenadopted?!or maybe you are another member of her familychild not hers? very dicey to ask thaose questions if that is the case. gently does it.

You did tell her the test is just a cheek swab?

Does she have a sibling who you could ask instead?
Yes, male. I will ask him. I will also pick a moment when I can take the time to ask her. A very stubborn woman.
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 21:20 BST (UK) »
I'm helping my friend from Georgia Russia and she will have some questions

doing tree first..

then DNA
Sorry wrOMG board
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 23:36 BST (UK) »
Just a follow up.

My mother agreed to a test and have had the results for 2 weeks. Confirmed some things and confused on others. Again slowly sifting through the results.

Have come no closer to the 2 remaining brickwalls on her side. Both the same line also . Simpson and Westmacott/Westcott/Wennicot?

Thanks everyone for their help and advice

Scott, Cronin