Author Topic: Allin Cottrell ***COMPLETED THANK YOU***  (Read 765 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Allin Cottrell ***COMPLETED THANK YOU***
« on: Friday 02 September 16 13:12 BST (UK) »
The death of Allin Cottrell, aged 40, was registered in the September quarter of 1926 in Ashton, Lancashire. Can anyone find an obituary please? I have all the other information I need about him - really just wondering how he came to die in Lancashire, when he lived and worked in Edinburgh.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Allin Cottrell
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 September 16 13:33 BST (UK) »
August 20, 1926 - Edinburgh Evening News - Edinburgh

According to a short piece here-he was on holiday and died at Ashton Infirmary. (on Wednesday)

Maureen

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 September 16 13:49 BST (UK) »
Is this the Allin Cottrell born in Saddleworth in 1886? A schoolteacher? If so, I will have a look in the Ashton Reporter next time I am in Local Studies.

Heather

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 September 16 13:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Maureen. I feel really sorry for his wife, who gave birth to their son on 13 September. The child was killed in an accident aged 8. Poor woman.

Just a thought - where might they have been on holiday? Ashton doesn't spring to mind as a prominent holiday resort.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 September 16 13:51 BST (UK) »
Is this the Allin Cottrell born in Saddleworth in 1886? A schoolteacher? If so, I will have a look in the Ashton Reporter next time I am in Local Studies.

Yes, it is. He was a Lecturer in Technical Chemistry at the University of Edinburgh.

Thank you very much.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 September 16 14:36 BST (UK) »
August 20, 1926 - Edinburgh Evening News - Edinburgh

According to a short piece here-he was on holiday and died at Ashton Infirmary. (on Wednesday)

Maureen

Edinburgh Evening News - Friday 20 August 1926
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Allin Cottrell ***COMPLETED THANK YOU***
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 September 16 14:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you, everyone. That is exactly what I was looking for. All your jelp is much appreciated.

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 September 16 14:58 BST (UK) »
Perhaps they were visiting family in Saddleworth.
Next time I am in Local Studies, I will look in the papers to see if there is any additional information.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 September 16 15:12 BST (UK) »
Ah, yes - that's quite possible. Thank you.