Author Topic: james goodwin mckenzie  (Read 1988 times)

Offline ianwade100

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
james goodwin mckenzie
« on: Sunday 04 September 16 12:28 BST (UK) »
hello

was just wondering about if anybody could help me find the whereabouts of james Goodwin McKenzie born 2nd may 1844 inverness.
Parents are Donald McKenzie and mother margaret mcgllivray
I do know that he moved to sunderland at some point and married Isabella cleminson in 1892
Donald McKenzie moved to castle st Glasgow with the family as a wine vintner and jeweller as james was growing up.
I cannot find James in censuses between 1871 and 1891 has he got a first wife and kids? as 48 a little old to get married for the first time?

any help would be great I have gathered a lot of data from the 1911 census. I do have some previous posts relating to this gentleman so apologise if going over old ground

kind regards

Ian wade

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: james goodwin mckenzie
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 September 16 13:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian a copy of the marriage certificate might give you more information on James whether he was single or widower ...See him in the later census with his wife Isabella hard to track on the earlier ones
Rosie

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 September 16 14:06 BST (UK) »
Hi is this James on the 1861 census address 82 ,Castle Street Inverness
Margaret Mackenzie age 49 jewellers widow
Simon Mackenzie 28, James 16, engineer, Donald 14

Family in 1851 at 16,Chapel Street Inverness father's occupation Vintner & grocer so the father did not move to Glasgow ...Or is this a different family
Rosie

Offline ianwade100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 September 16 15:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie

Thanks for your help. Yea that's the family. Donald was born in isle of wight. Not sure now how I got glasgow in my head. Wedding cert doesnt state widow.
Many thanks Ian

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 September 16 17:57 BST (UK) »
In 1901 James and Isabella gave an 11 year old daughter called Jessie living with them born in Sunderland. Tracking back to 1891 Bella Cleminson is living at 24 Offerton Street Sunderland with daughter Jessie Cleminson age 1. Heading up the household is Simon McKenzie age 17 born Glasgow. He is described as son in relation to head of household but there is no head listed. Simon was born in 1873 in Glasgow to James McKenzie and Jessie nee McDonald who married in Glasgow on 18th June 1868. Marriage certificate confirms that James was the son of Donald McKenzie and Margaret nee McGillivray ( both deceased in 1868). He was age 23 and an Engine Fitter Journeyman of 97 North Frederick Street, Glasgow. Jessie was a Tobacconists Saleswoman age 21 daughter of Malcolm McDonald, Seaman Merchant, deceased and Helen nee McCallum. In 1871 James age 25 born Inverness Town, Engine Fitter is listed in Glasgow along with Jessie (23), son James (3) and Jessie's mother Ellen McDonald. In 1881 Jessie is still in Glasgow listed as head of household with James (12), Simon (7) and two month old twins Maggie and Jessie. Can't immediately see a death for her in Scotland.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 September 16 18:31 BST (UK) »
The twins Maggie Mary and Jessie Helen appear to have both died in 1881. Have also now found the death of Jessie McKenzie or McDonald ( born 1847) in Partick in 1885.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline ianwade100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 September 16 20:23 BST (UK) »
Wowsers this is really interesting. How on earth did. You find all that!!  Thank you ever so much to Rosie and Isobel. Sad to hear about the twins dying. I wonder if all the rest of his kids did.too as theyr not around in 1911 unless they older n moved on. I'll investigate more now!!Strange how he stated single on.wedding cert too although I had an inkling.

Thank you once again.
Kind regards

Ian wade

Offline ianwade100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 September 16 20:25 BST (UK) »
Always wondered where the middle name Goodwin comes from. My grandmother's middle name was also Goodwin so nice to pass down.
Thanks
Ian

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 September 16 21:08 BST (UK) »
Well done Isobel here are the births of their family
James McKenzie 10 April 1868 Central District Glasgow

Simon McKenzie 20 September 1873 Anderson Glasgow

Jessie Helen McKenzie 13 February 1881 Patrick .Maggie Mary McKenzie 13 February 1881

Rosie