Author Topic: Nanpantan  (Read 1069 times)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Nanpantan
« on: Friday 09 September 16 17:03 BST (UK) »
A thread elsewhere was concerned with the village of Nanpantan in Leicestershire.  Fascinating oriental sounding name - does anyone know from what/who it is derived?
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Nanpantan
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 September 16 17:41 BST (UK) »
Got it thanks, Scouseboy has kindly sent me a link to Nanpantan Hall that explains the derivation.
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 September 16 20:04 BST (UK) »

I knew Miss Jean Paget who owned the hall until her death some years ago. I was for years a chorister/ married at St. Marys in Nanpantan church which was once the chapel to the hall.

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline Artypie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 September 16 23:10 BST (UK) »
My g/grandad was a gardener there, he came from Banbury with his wife. I read that it was also spelled Nanpanton but they had a bit of a meeting to decide which to use and went with Nanpantan, somewhere around the 1920's if I remember right, which I can't guarantee.
Platts - Morrell - Smith - Humphrey - Hancock - Heritage - Wilkins - Satchell/Satchel - Brooks/Brookes - James - Brown - Wardle - Hall - Croson/Croston - Davis/Davies - Fox - Humber - Sibson - Cooke/Cook -Chapman - Musson - Mountney - Ward - Cullen - Mumford/Mumfoot - Hoverd - Scriven/Scrivins - Ward - Harvey - Groombridge - Bullock - Holt - Harris - Cooper - May - Downs

Offline carolmc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 October 16 16:33 BST (UK) »
I grew up in Coalville, family legend always joked that "Nan panted on" ancesters came from Shepshed, Hathern, Sileby areas. Truth or fiction?  carolmc