Author Topic: St. Mary's School, Dublin  (Read 641 times)

Offline donno

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St. Mary's School, Dublin
« on: Thursday 15 September 16 18:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks to Findmypast, I have found my grandfather Albert Jenkins name on the school register of St. Mary's School in 1921.  He was living in 13 Mary's Abbey, Dublin at the time.  Not sure if Mary's Abbey is  Dublin 1 or Dublin 7.   Does anyone know where this school was/is ?  Thank you.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: St. Mary's School, Dublin
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 September 16 09:09 BST (UK) »
There is a St. Mary's Primary school is on Dorset Street not far from St. Mary's Abbey off Capel Street, Dublin 1
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline donno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 September 16 22:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks MyLuck, I don't think that's the one.  The school in St. Mary's Place is a relatively new building which was erected in the late nineteen seventies.  My mother thinks her dad went to Strand Street School, but I can't find out if that used to be called St. Mary's

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 September 16 01:47 BST (UK) »

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 September 16 02:02 BST (UK) »
The building at St. Mary's is newish, but the school isn't.

Little Strand Street used to be a Holy Faith, called St. Bridget's.

I think the Quakers may have had some connection with the Great Strand Street school originally. I know it more recently (1980s) as (I believe) a school for traveller children. I may be mistaken there. We used to bring children from my school there to a boxing club in the evenings.
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 September 16 15:25 BST (UK) »
There was a national school on Georges Hill in 1873 ..
(I made a list of teachers in the area in 1873, but didn't pay any attention to the school other than to note its name and number - I was interested in the teacher's names.)

Also schools St Michan's, Kings Inns, Denmark St, Brunswick St, Dominick St.

Was Albert Protestant or Catholic?
The National Archive has the Salary Books for the teachers (used to have to order a day in advance), maybe not up to 1921, 1916 is the latest I've looked at. The books may have an address for the schools.
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline donno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 September 16 19:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for replying.  Eadaoin, my granddad's dad was Church of Ireland and the record I checked did say that the school was CofI, but my granddad was definitely Catholic !  In relation to the other schools in the area, both my mother and myself went to Kings Inns St, but I never heard that my granddad did.  The current Mount Carmel Secondary School building was erected in 1942, and they used to share the school building with St. Mary's Primary School,  before St. Mary's moved to St. Mary's Place in the late nineteen seventies.