Author Topic: rental offerings 1880  (Read 621 times)

Offline blacksmithy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
rental offerings 1880
« on: Saturday 17 September 16 23:40 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have done a google search regarding what £7.10s might have allowed my family to rent at 19 Regent Street Greenock in the 1880s, however have had no luck.  He was a ship joiner, and one of the daughters was a French Polisher.  (Not sure if this equates to the working class!).  I guess this would have been a tenement building but not sure of the standard it would have been. 

Ten years earlier in the census of 1871 he and his family resided at Backland.  When I viewed the entry above this Backland address I note it was Regent St, would I be correct in assuming this Backland was at the back of Regent Street.

Thanks for your thoughts
Pauline
Welsh: Kilbarchan;Canada; New Zealand
MacArthur:North Knapdale
 Weckesser: Germany, Netherands, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia
O'Brien: Australia, New Zealand

Online orkrad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: rental offerings 1880
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 September 16 03:45 BST (UK) »
 Hi there
 If you google Regent St Greenock old photos  and click on images the second one to appear shows an old house in Regent Street. This I think gives a good example of what the general area would have looked like.
Also google BACKLANDS-Greenock and you will get a youtube view of what  a tenement backland  was . The actual word backland usually refers to an area for a midden (rubbish storage) or a place to keep animals in an urban area in Scotland. Someone with local knowledge might be able to explain exactly what the "backland' where the folk you are researching meant.

Regards Orkrad

Offline blacksmithy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: rental offerings 1880
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 September 16 06:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your thoughts.  Yes I did see the youtube posting of the tenement backland.  It is so very foreign to me as an example of housing but very informative as well.  Also interesting to view the photos of the tenement housing in the 1950-1960s!
Many thanks
Pauline
Welsh: Kilbarchan;Canada; New Zealand
MacArthur:North Knapdale
 Weckesser: Germany, Netherands, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia
O'Brien: Australia, New Zealand