Author Topic: Willson family Leicester  (Read 2183 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Willson family Leicester
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 22 September 16 10:31 BST (UK) »
Hi
I've had a look at my copy of St Margaret's Leicester Parish Register and it has 2 entries for children of a George William Wilson & Sarah. As follows
Albert Edward Wilson Birth 8 Nov 1901 sibling to Gladys
Gladys Wilson Birth 23 March 1902 .... sibling to Albert Edward.

Hi Bunnygirl

I think this must be a different family as I believe it's the children of George Albert Willson that were being sought:

I'm trying to the children of George A Willson 1862-1942 and Sarah Williams 1867 and 1945

Although of course you are correct in that being in the same grave does not automatically mean they are all children of George Albert, and some other confirmation would be helpful.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Bunnygirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Keep plodding on you Will find it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 22 September 16 10:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Jomot,
Well it says in the notes children of George William Wilson & Sarah.     So yes it does need looking into

Bunnygirl
Leicestershire; Rothley,  Fowkes, Biddles, Dawson, Allen, Lambert, Tebbett, Needham , Horner, Cooper, Pagett, Jaques, Kinton, Newbald, Duffill    Halford, Cope, Bywater , Hunt
Bedfordshire; Cardington, Trueman, Wilstead  Bridges, Clark(e), Redman
Essex; Eady, Newman, Copsey, Rawlin, Gilders, Smith  
Rotherhithe; Henderson, Eady. Lambert
Rutland & Bedfordshire  Staffod, Glover, Tom(b)lin
Suffolk  (Wissington) Eady.
Lincolnshire, Tomlin

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 22 September 16 11:11 BST (UK) »
Sarah Willson was my GGrandmother, I wonder why she wasn't buried with her husband and children.  Could you tell me if she is buried with anyone else - thanks

I suspect that with an adult & five children already in plot I 121 it was already full.  Although Sarah's grave was freehold (ie the grave rights had been purchased), it appears to have previously been a common grave and 5 people had previously been buried there: 1853 George Green (35), and then the following members of the Maydwell family - 1878 Emmanuel Joseph (1), 1881 William (43) & Mary (9),  1884 Thomas (44).

Cyril is my mothers uncle - so  family.  Would  you be able to tell me if he is buried with anyone else?
The same situation applies with Cyril.  Seven infants & stillborn children were buried there between 1853 & 1899, at which time it was a common grave.  Most of the children appear unconnected to each other with the exception of two children with the surname Goadby.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 22 September 16 11:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Jomot,
Well it says in the notes children of George William Wilson & Sarah.     So yes it does need looking into
Bunnygirl

Hi Bunnygirl
George William Willson appears to have married Sarah Ellis in 1901 & they are on the 1911 with two sons, including Albert Edward, so definitely a different family.  One further child is said to have died, presumably Gladys, as there is a 1902 death record for a Gladys Willson aged 0.

Offline redleicester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 22 September 16 12:43 BST (UK) »
 I think that you are probably correct and George William Wilson and Sarah are a different family of Willsons.

Tom and Rosetta Willson are definitely the correct Willson family.  Tom was brother to George A Willson.  Incidentally,  I've managed to find a lot of interesting articles in newspapers regarding their boxing.

Bunnygirl you mentioned "your copy" of  the St Margaret's Leicester Parish Register could you tell me where these come from so I can get a copy?     

Jomot  could you advise where I can find the information on the Welford Road cemetery? -

Thank you both for your help.  I've been stuck in a genealogical rut for ages and its brilliant finding out more information.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 22 September 16 13:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Red

The Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society have numerous transcripts on CD, including Welford Road Cemetery:

http://www.lrfhs.org.uk/onlinecdsales.htm

Offline redleicester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 22 September 16 20:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone for your help. 

I've just purchased a Welford Road Cemetery CD (download version) and am now enjoying myself   finding where my dead relatives have been buried.

Tomorrow I'll look at what else is available from the LRFHS org.

Night

Offline ansteynomad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 28 September 16 12:41 BST (UK) »
Jomot, would you be able to post the details of those Goadby burials please? 

I know they will be mine, but would be interested to know who they are.

Thanks
Nottinghamshire: Billyard; Fletcher
Lincolnshire: Beck; Smith
Leicestershire: Goadby; Iliffe;
Warwickshire: Bradbury; Friswell; Gilliver; Beesley

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 28 September 16 12:54 BST (UK) »
8 Jun 1853   Eunice Sarah Goadby aged 15 weeks of 11 East Bond Street, All Saints Burial No 1799
29 Mar 1857 George Arthur Goadby aged 2 yrs & 8 months of West Bond Street, all Saints, Burial No 3955