Author Topic: dead end - Margaret Tench nee Kellet  (Read 4609 times)

Offline Suzicals

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
dead end - Margaret Tench nee Kellet
« on: Wednesday 21 September 16 20:00 BST (UK) »
I have come to a frustrating dead end, I am trying to research  my Great Grandmother.
(bit of background)
She was born Margaret Kellet on 29th June 1850 in Sherburn Hill Durham
Married William Revelly Tench March 1871, and had 11 children my nan being one of them.  She lived in Garston Lancester in 1891 where my Nan was born. Nan was told her mother died when she was aged around 2 (1894 ish) however I found Margaret living with her bother in law and wife in Winlaton Durham in 1901 and her status was married.

That is as far as i can go, I cannot find a death for her under the name of Tench, and i have tried to see if she remarried  later in life but found nothing, I wondered if she moved abroad with one of her older children, possibly Alfred who i believe moved to Africa, If she did how would I find out? Is there anyone else on here that are researching the Tench's that might be able to shed some light on what happend to her?

Thanks
King, Parry, Groom, Mantle, Swain, Gustard, Tench, Kellet, Hayward, Clerk, Line, Wilson, Charles, Renwick, Haswell

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: dead end - Margaret Tench nee Kellet
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 September 16 20:16 BST (UK) »
I presume that Margaret had left the marital home as her husband had Mary Bell 'living' with him in 1901 - he was later cited in her divorce before he married her.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Suzicals

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 September 16 20:27 BST (UK) »
yep thats the one, he was a 'naughty boy' :) he married Mary in 1902 they where bigamists
King, Parry, Groom, Mantle, Swain, Gustard, Tench, Kellet, Hayward, Clerk, Line, Wilson, Charles, Renwick, Haswell

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 September 16 20:31 BST (UK) »
Did he marry Mary Bell twice?  There are marriages in 1902 (Doncaster) and 1906 (Leeds) both have a Mary Bell on the same page.

He had a son of the same name but he was unmarried in the latest census

I wonder if the 1902 marriage was bigamous?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Suzicals

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 September 16 20:40 BST (UK) »
The marrage in 1902 is mentioned in the divource papers. Its possible the one you have found in Leeds is a legit, as the divource papers where filed in 1905 by Mary's Husband John Bell.

Its what happend to Margaret that i am more interested in as i am unable to trace her after 1901.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 September 16 20:48 BST (UK) »
Just a thought, but I would think that he'd either divorced Margaret by 1905 or she was dead by then, otherwise why would he have bothered to go through another marriage to Mary Bell? Does it give any indication as to his marital status in the divorce papers?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Suzicals

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 September 16 20:58 BST (UK) »
I havent been able to find any divource for William and Margaret, or her death at that time.  I have looked at the marrage notice him and Mary in 1906, and note that she is mentioned twice once as Mary Bell and Mary Wilkinson her maiden name.  I dont recall any mention about his marital status in the divource papers Just when it all started. I can only surmise that he remarried Mary again in 1906 because she was at least still married to her former husband John in 1902, which would have made the marrage between her and William null and void.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 September 16 21:01 BST (UK) »
The only way he could have married Mary after her divorce is if he was a widower or divorcee - what does the 1906 marriage cert say about his marital status
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 21 September 16 21:01 BST (UK) »
There is a newspaper article 09 August 1915 - Manchester Evening News

SWAIN-TENCH - August 7th, at Holy Innocents' Church, by the Rev EB Ward, Charles SWAIN of North Shields to ISABEL youngest daughter of the late W Revely TENCH, of Delhi, India.

Presumably 'the late W Revely TENCH' is Margaret's son?  Not sure this helps much but gives another place in the world to search  :-\
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.