Author Topic: Matthew Pierce & Mary Catherine Crowe  (Read 5573 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Matthew Pierce & Mary Catherine Crowe
« Reply #45 on: Monday 26 September 16 00:17 BST (UK) »
I wonder what would be on a transcription of the death of this woman?
Obviously the informant did not know much,(eg her parents' names) but one would suspect the informant would be the son George Albert PIERCE, who may have known some valuable information such as place of birth.

Probably worth the dollars if she is important in your family history.

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 26 September 16 00:26 BST (UK) »
Emily Agnes Pierce         1866 Dublin
Maria

The record of an Emily PIERCE in the Anglican Section of Field of Mars indicates a birth year of 1866 however I can't find a death registration in 1916 for her death.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ik3/&

Cando

Eventually.....wrong father's name

Death
2547/1916
PEIRCE Emily
Father George  Mother Mary
District Chatswood

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline msbonbon65

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 26 September 16 02:06 BST (UK) »
Sparrett,

" I would suggest the informant on the death of Matthew junior have confused the mother's name with that of the sister."

The Bereavement Notice for Matthew Pierce Jr was placed by his WIFE (Mrs. F Pierce) who was Flora (Crawford) Pierce. Matthew Jr's mother was Mary Catherine Crowe and his sister was Frances Mary Josephine (Pierce) Weingarth who lived in Kempsey, NSW with her husband at this time. Matthew Jr's daughter's were Susannah Pierce and Miriam Flora Pierce, he had one son Matthew Oliver Pierce. It would have made things easier if they had just said Mrs Flora Pierce, but I guess you were supposed to "know" by the word "husband" in the last sentence that it was the wife who informed the paper.

Maria

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 26 September 16 04:38 BST (UK) »

Sparrett,

" I would suggest the informant on the death of Matthew junior have confused the mother's name with that of the sister."

The Bereavement Notice for Matthew Pierce Jr was placed by his WIFE (Mrs. F Pierce) who was Flora (Crawford) Pierce. Matthew Jr's mother was Mary Catherine Crowe and his sister was Frances Mary Josephine (Pierce) Weingarth who lived in Kempsey, NSW with her husband at this time. Matthew Jr's daughter's were Susannah Pierce and Miriam Flora Pierce, he had one son Matthew Oliver Pierce. It would have made things easier if they had just said Mrs Flora Pierce, but I guess you were supposed to "know" by the word "husband" in the last sentence that it was the wife who informed the paper.

Maria

Thank you Maria.  Yes, I understand all that.

This quote is from your Original Opening Post.

Hi,

I have been able to trace Mary Josephine (Polly) Pierce and her brother Matthew Patrick Pierce, but have hit a brickwall 

And this is the death with record  Polly as mother.

1912   C4197 Matthew PIERCE
Father Matthew PIERCE
Mother Polly - ** born Ireland aged 40 years

Which is why I say

I would suggest the informant on the death of Matthew junior have confused the mother's name with that of the sister.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline msbonbon65

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 26 September 16 05:12 BST (UK) »
Sparrett,

My apologies, I explained that Matthew Patrick Pierce's mother is Mary Catherine Pierce and his sister is Mary Josephine Pierce; however, I forgot to explain that since both women were named Mary and;

Molly and Polly are traditional nicknames for Mary

Polly = Polly

The informant used the just used the Nickname of "POLLY" in stead of Mary Catherine, if you are aware of this fact there's really no confusion on the informants part and again I apologize for neglecting to include this in my post.

Maria