Author Topic: John and Jemima Cox  (Read 6879 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John and Jemima Cox
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 27 September 16 01:31 BST (UK) »
Electoral rolls

1909, 1912, 1913 William, engine driver, and Alice, hd are at Carpenter St, Brighton. 
1913 Also at Carpenter St is Irene Violet Martha LLewellyn, hd
1913 also shows William Thomas Llewellyn, farm hand at Carpenter St, Middle Brighton

William is at Carpenter St until the last entry I could see for him in 1931 by which time there are also Irene Llewellyn, hd, and Edward John Llewellyn, railway emp. at Carpenter St.  William's occupation is listed as railway emp.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 27 September 16 01:42 BST (UK) »
William and Alice are at Newmarket and Traralgon on the 1915 and 1916 rolls...from memory.

Off to do some chores :)

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 27 September 16 01:42 BST (UK) »
Cando, yes it is worldconnect.

Incidentally, there was another Alice COX born in 1863 at Snapper Pt to a different family and she married a James LEESON in 1883.  I deduced this other Alice could not be confused with Alice LLEWELLYN nee COX.

Essie

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 27 September 16 05:24 BST (UK) »
Is this the death of your John COX?

BDM VIC death
1899 / 9030 COX Jno  parents   COX Jno / BAKER Alice Jane
@ H Hill L A   73years

I think this certificate would be useful to you. John COX dies in institutionalised care, and his death record includes names of parents, details that would surely not be on his records. Someone is around when he dies...who has good knowledge of him. You might be hopeful that the same person would know his family....children?

Interesting....?
BDM NSW death
6951 / 1918 COX John  parents John / Jemima   @ Gosford

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 27 September 16 07:12 BST (UK) »
Adding to Judith post, reply#17, where she posted John's death in NSW.  My additions in blue font.

Jane Elizabeth Cox, Sep qr 1847, reg Kidderminster, (edit to add) d 1917
Emma Cox, June qr 1850 Kidderminster, d 1877
Alice Cox, Dec qr 1851, Kidderminster. 18/394  Died1853 Collingwood.

Born in Victoria
COX Alice Sarah or Sarah Alice born Richmond and I think probably between 1853 and 1856. Died 1922 Sunbury with an age indicating a birth in 1861. Need to know the birth dates of John and Frances. Alice Sarah's married a younger man so possibly her age on the marriage document will be inaccurate ;)  Mary's birth certificate would be the only way to find Alice Sarah's yob
COX John, 1856, d 1918 Gosford NSW
COX Frances. 1860, d 1914
COX Mary, 1862, d 1931
Judith

And I think that's about it until Eric responds.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 27 September 16 07:33 BST (UK) »
Hmm - interesting co-incidence.....

Where is Snapper Point and how big is it?  I note a Wikipedia reference:
The Post Office opened on 21 May 1856 as Schnapper Point and was renamed Mornington in 1864.  reference

Essie gave this birth
Incidentally, there was another Alice COX born in 1863 at Snapper Pt to a different family and she married a James LEESON in 1883.  I deduced this other Alice could not be confused with Alice LLEWELLYN nee COX. Adding - the index birth entry of this Alice COX gives her parents as George Cox, Lucy Holies

There is a birth for one of the children listed as a child of Alice COX and William LLEWELLYN
Victoria, 1891, #17154 reg Snapper Point
Thos Wm Cedric LLEWELLYN
Parents: Wm Llewellyn, Alice Cox

Almost certainly just a coincidence,  but thought it interesting.

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline cire

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 27 September 16 22:28 BST (UK) »
Many many thanks for the information, much of which I didn't have.
I should say that it is Alice Sarah Cox that married William Llewellyn that is my entry into the Cox family. As you have shown there is a problem with her date of birth. If she was the Alice born in Kidderminster she would have been around 15 years older than her husband. I will download the birth cert for Mary Cox tomorrow to see if that gives Alice's birth date.

I will also have another try at posting the children's names from Alice's death cert. or they may all be listed legibly on Mary's birth cert.

ERic

Beeston, Whithead & Towle
Allesley, Bloxham from c. 1815
Foleshill, Gee (Jee) Adams Millerchip
Burton Dassett, Bloxham to c. 1815

Offline cire

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 28 September 16 22:00 BST (UK) »
Well I downloaded Mary Cox's birth certificate!!!!! Did it help? ?????

This gives Mary's birth as 15 Dec 1861, parents John Cox and Jemima Cox formerly Nal.

Other children:-     Jane Elizabeth  15
                           Emma Louisa   13
                           Sarah Ann        9
                           John                7.5 
                           Frances            1.5
                     plus one daughter dead, not named!!!!

On the mother's death cert. the names Jane and Elizabeth were on separate lines and I had thought they were 2 children. There is no Sarah Ann on the death cert!!!! but the age would put her birth in England!!! The three names of children born in England and on the boat are Jane, Emma And Alice. Is the child recorded as Sarah Ann the same as Alice Sarah??!!!

There is still one name on the death cert which I cannot read which is not on Mary's birth cert which is possibly the daughter that had died.
On Mary's birth cert the mother Jemima was the informant but had only signed with a cross!!! I wonder if whoever filled in the birth cert. wrote Ann instead of Alice by mistake????

More tomorrow??

Eric

Beeston, Whithead & Towle
Allesley, Bloxham from c. 1815
Foleshill, Gee (Jee) Adams Millerchip
Burton Dassett, Bloxham to c. 1815

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 29 September 16 12:47 BST (UK) »
Oh my!

Seems to me at first look that your theory may be correct

There is no Sarah Ann on the death cert!!!! but the age would put her birth in England!!! The three names of children born in England and on the boat are Jane, Emma And Alice. Is the child recorded as Sarah Ann the same as Alice Sarah??!!!

Haven't had time for a detailed study today. Frances' birth certificate would be interesting but you will be broke soon!   8)

Judith