Author Topic: Edward KINGSTON, beerhouse Inn Keeper - finding his family, 1700's  (Read 998 times)

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Great grandma Elsie (right) & sister Evelyn (left)
    • View Profile
Edward KINGSTON, beerhouse Inn Keeper - finding his family, 1700's
« on: Sunday 25 September 16 23:11 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

While doing some research for a relative, I have come across an Edward Kingston, a beerhouse Inn Keeper from Northamptonshire. It is suggested on censuses that Edward was born about 1787 in Longthorpe, Northamptonshire (I don't know Northamptonshire very well at all, but I believe Longthorpe is near Peterborough?).

Edward married a woman called Mary, who was apparently born at Wentworth in Yorkshire around the year 1787 according to censuses.

Edward and Mary had at least 3 children, all baptized at Peterborough.
- Jarvis Kingston (who I'm also researching), bap 31 Jan 1813
- Edward Kingston, bap 14 Apr 1817
- John Kingston, bap 31 Jan 1813

What I have been trying to find out is;
- the identity of Mary, and her marriage to Edward Kingston
- any more children of Edward Kingston and Mary
- the baptism record and parents (and siblings) of Edward Kingston

If you feel you could help with any of these, I would be very appreciative of your help.
Many thanks,
Holly
A Yorkshire girl tracing her ancestry.
Discovering that I'm not as English as my family once thought.

Ashforth | Watson | Smith | Davies | Beech | Matthews | Moxon | Heaton | Emmerson | Parkin | Cook | Venables | Perrins | Parsons | Whiteley | Blackburn | Badger | Cullen | McWeeny/McWeeney | Steventon | Walters | Copley | Chapman | Wild | Garrity | Blewitt | Larkin |

DNA Results: 40% Great Britain, 24% Scandinavian, 17% Western European, 15% Irish, 4% Iberian Peninsula.

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Edward KINGSTON, beerhouse Inn Keeper - finding his family, 1700's
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 September 16 23:18 BST (UK) »
There's a couple by their names baptising shedloads of kids in Wentworth 1819-1831 too.

https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bsurname%3Akingston%20%2Bfather_givenname%3Aedward%20%2Bmother_givenname%3Amary~%20%2Bfilm_number%3A0919382

I'd put £1 on that Carnelly name being 'relevant' in some way. Maybe Mary Carnelly.
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 September 16 23:27 BST (UK) »
Here we go.

Castor, Northamptonshire.
26 Mar 1812 Edward KINGSTONE & Mary CARNELLEY, both of Castor, by banns

http://www.thearchive.org.uk/marriage/castor_parish_register_of_marriages/cm1754_1812/CM1754_25.htm

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 September 16 23:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you!
The ironic thing is that Edward and Mary's son Jarvis married a Mary Pepper. Mary Pepper's mother's name was Ann Carnelley! And this Ann was baptized at Wentworth in Yorkshire!

Ashforth | Watson | Smith | Davies | Beech | Matthews | Moxon | Heaton | Emmerson | Parkin | Cook | Venables | Perrins | Parsons | Whiteley | Blackburn | Badger | Cullen | McWeeny/McWeeney | Steventon | Walters | Copley | Chapman | Wild | Garrity | Blewitt | Larkin |

DNA Results: 40% Great Britain, 24% Scandinavian, 17% Western European, 15% Irish, 4% Iberian Peninsula.

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 September 16 23:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you!
The ironic thing is that Edward and Mary's son Jarvis married a Mary Pepper. Mary Pepper's mother's name was Ann Carnelley! And this Ann was baptized at Wentworth in Yorkshire!
They'll probably turn out to be cousins ... how many toes do the descendants have?

- -

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 September 16 23:38 BST (UK) »
It wouldn't surprise me ;D

So far I haven't found common parents between Mary and Ann but I'm still looking! They're bound to be related somehow.

Added: There's a baptism of a Carnelley girl (no name found so far) at Wentworth in 1788 with parents called Jarvis Carnelly and Sarah Pepper - which are the same as the Ann Carnelley!

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 September 16 23:43 BST (UK) »
It wouldn't surprise me ;D

So far I haven't found common parents between Mary and Ann but I'm still looking! They're bound to be related somehow.
It depends how far you want to push the bounds of probability in your first efforts to "reach out and see ...."  - I tend to "go wild" then see if things add up.

20 miles away in a place called Kirk Smeaton, there's a Mary Carnelley baptised in 1792 and an Ann Carnelley married in 1779 (to a Mr Morris)

If that seems feasible and/or dates 'seem about right' you could look into that. 

I collect a "bucket of possibles" then dismiss them on inspection ... but it's nice to keep your mind open.

- -

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 September 16 23:46 BST (UK) »
Jarvis Carnelley and Sarah Pepper are active in Wentworth too:

Having children in the 1790s.

- -

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 24 October 16 22:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you StanleysChesterton, I think I have the tree mapped out now! Thank you for your help!

I'm afraid I haven't got much further back with Edward Kingston's parentage though - his baptism at Longthorpe in Northamptonshire was on 22 Mar 1786 at Peterborough. His parents are named as Thomas and Mary, but I can't seem to find out anymore about Thomas and Mary, or if there were any more siblings of Edward Kingston (aka other children of Thomas and Mary).  :-\