Author Topic: ScotlandsPeople - saved searches and images  (Read 6432 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ScotlandsPeople - saved searches and images
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 01 October 16 09:26 BST (UK) »

I took them at their word when they said the previous searches and images would be available.

So did I  :(  Although I knew that I had backups of the important images. I haven't checked all of my saved images but the other ones that I've looked at so far are there. It was just those two - both saved  on the same date.

I've got 522 pages of saved images, going back to 30/07/2003.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 01 October 16 09:49 BST (UK) »
I only joined in 2014, so have a lot less to lose.

Offline trish58

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 01 October 16 11:26 BST (UK) »
It is unusual for them not to reply sooner than this, but I will give them the benefit of the doubt that they will be in touch soon, the site must be overloaded, I will try not to go into panic mode until I hear from them.
 ??? ??? ???

Trish
Rae, Feeney, Singleton, Appleton, Agnew, McKeachie,
Fury, & many more

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 01 October 16 11:42 BST (UK) »
It is unusual for them not to reply sooner than this, but I will give them the benefit of the doubt that they will be in touch soon, the site must be overloaded, I will try not to go into panic mode until I hear from them.
 ??? ??? ???

Trish

Yes I think we are giving them a hard time  ;D ;D ;D
Rosie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 05 October 16 10:20 BST (UK) »
Yes I think we are giving them a hard time  ;D ;D ;D

Probably. They must expect that when they make a change of this sort.

The thing that troubles me about the saved searches is that if the search was conducted using parameters that worked on the old site but don't work on the new, they are effectively useless.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 05 October 16 11:16 BST (UK) »
and I REALLY dislike the start screen.

I don't want to stick someone's name on the first page.

I want to go straight to wills, or parish baptisms or statuatory marriages etc and start searching there.    Like I used to.

It's enough to make me a crabbit get.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 05 October 16 11:31 BST (UK) »
The thing that troubles me about the saved searches is that if the search was conducted using parameters that worked on the old site but don't work on the new, they are effectively useless.

Something similar happened with 'parameter' changes back in, from memory, 2004. It affected quite a number of my previous searches at the time and although they did eventually compensate me with 'credits', it meant having to trawl through, find and re-do searches. I was most unhappy and tried reasoning with them that surely they could re-programme the system to provide the previous searches under both the original and revised parameters, but they wouldn't budge. The original searches became, as you have said, effectively useless, yet even now, 12 years later, the search 'title', time and date undertaken are still listed in 'previous searches'. 
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 05 October 16 17:53 BST (UK) »
I want to go straight to wills, or parish baptisms or statutory marriages etc and start searching there.    Like I used to.

I contacted SP about this point too, because I found the home page confusing, and was unhappy about having to make extra clicks and wait for pages to load.

Click on 'Advanced People Search' and then bookmark the search page. When you want to use the site, click on your bookmark. When you log in you will be taken straight to the search page. Works for me.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline buckhyne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • James Lawrie & Mary Ann Watson (1878)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 05 October 16 18:49 BST (UK) »
I want to go straight to wills, or parish baptisms or statutory marriages etc and start searching there.    Like I used to.

I contacted SP about this point too, because I found the home page confusing, and was unhappy about having to make extra clicks and wait for pages to load.

Click on 'Advanced People Search' and then bookmark the search page. When you want to use the site, click on your bookmark. When you log in you will be taken straight to the search page. Works for me.
Excellent tip  :)
Lawrie name in Fife (and elsewhere) with all its various spellings.