Author Topic: Looking for any Sugar refiners, Sugarhouse labourers, etc  (Read 892 times)

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
Looking for any Sugar refiners, Sugarhouse labourers, etc
« on: Thursday 29 September 16 20:06 BST (UK) »
With SP's new website being no better than the old one regarding browsing, I wonder if any of you can help me, please.

If you see church register entries giving an occupation such as sugar refiner, sugar baker, labourer in sugarhouse, sugar broker, etc, I wonder if you could please record them and pass them on to me, so that I can add them to my database at  www.mawer.clara.net/intro.html .

This is something that I hoped to be doing myself with SP introducing various subscription options, but that has not come about. One entry every 20-50 pages does not make cost effective research with pay-per-view. ;D

I have searched the early censuses using the transcriptions, but once again I can't browse the 1911 Greenock census where there may be several hundred relevant entries.

Thank you.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline C_W

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for any Sugar refiners, Sugarhouse labourers, etc
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 September 16 21:02 BST (UK) »
http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/William_Tait

I have a slight connection to William Tait of Glasgow. I dont know if you have seen the item on Graces Guide Website?

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 September 16 21:34 BST (UK) »
SB, an idea maybe to try and flush some more names out. You may have already done this though as your site is so extensive now.

Have you had a look at the Post Office Directories for the area? This, for example, is the 1911-12 one. You can search within it. So searching just the word sugar brings up a number of entries in the directory.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 September 16 22:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you, C_W ... Will be added asap.
A manufacturer of sugar machinery, but his daughter more famous than he ... she invented the gym-slip.

Thanks for your help once again, Monica. I'm working through the directories on the NLS site ... a great site, so easy to search. Will get to 1911 soon and it'll give me the owners/management, but it's unlikely to give me the 'workers'. I will try to relate directory names to census names on SP.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

Offline C_W

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 September 16 07:12 BST (UK) »
If you type Sugar" in the search part of Graces Guide, it does bring up links to other sugar manufacturers.
Also the University of Glasgow may hold information of archives etc.

www.gla.ac.uk › media › media_60317_en

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 September 16 11:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you, C_W.