Author Topic: William Ollever (sic) Harry  (Read 1361 times)

Offline Lazarus

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
William Ollever (sic) Harry
« on: Monday 03 October 16 01:15 BST (UK) »
I am trying to identify parents of William Ollever Harry.
His birth registration St Austell June Qtr 1841 Vol 9 page 22 line 9.
I have looked at images for bpt St Austell without success.

He may be part of my Harry family.

Thanks
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Ollever (sic) Harry
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 October 16 06:22 BST (UK) »
There are a number of trees on Anc that list William as the son of Nicholas Harry and wife Maria Oliver who are living at  Tywardreath, Cornwall (within the Reg District of St Austell) in 1841 as below

Nickolas Harry 30 Miner
Mary Harry 30
Nickolas Harry 11
John Harry 8
Eliza Harry    5
Emma Harry 4
Ann Harry    2

However on FreeREG the couple's children with the exception of William (Edit and possibly Ann) are baptised at Tywardreath St Andrew!

By 1851 parents Nicholas and Mary might have emigrated to Carroll, Maryland, USA with their two youngest children (detailed below https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MD4D-Y7P ) and in 1851 other children appear to be living with relatives or working as servants in Cornwall

Nicholas Harry 41 Miner b England
Mary Harry 30 b England
Anamariah Harry 10 b England
Wm O Harry 8   b England

By 1861 sons Nicholas and John appear to have joined their father Nicholas in Maryland USA and were living next door with their own families. https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M69M-T4V   If it is the right family for William Oliver Harry the only way to confirm it might be his birth cert??

Kay

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 October 16 06:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you Kay.
The data you are quoting agrees with what I have.
Mary Oliver who married Nicholas Harry 1830 at St Neot , looks to have died 1843 at Kilvarrick which I understand is Tywardreath.(aged 32).The same residence is given for the children.

The adult ages in 1841 are likely to have been rounded.
If Mary was still alive 1850 and living Carroll , Maryland USA she should have been older than 30.

One of the trees has Nicholas arriving US 1849 ( alone).
I am wondering if Nicholas married again.

I can't find where Annamaria or William were baptised or where they migrated.

Thanks
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 October 16 07:14 BST (UK) »
I can't see a baptism either which seems strange as their younger sister Mary was baptised on 21 Jan 1843 at Tywardreath, but she was also buried on the same day

Although the ages are out I think this might well be the immigration on Ann Maria and William http://www.rootschat.com/links/01im1/ but no sign of their parents??   The 1849 record for the immigration of Nicholas appears to be listed as a merchant travelling with another Harry family so I do wonder if it is the right person

Edit -I wonder if Mary's age in the Maryland census in 1851 was simply as error

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 October 16 07:30 BST (UK) »
Apologies -Just realised that you are right that the burial in 1843 is for the mother Mary not the child.   So as you say who was the Mary in the 1851 census??

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 October 16 09:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you Kay
I thought that I had found Nicholas Harry travelling alone to New Yok Aug 1849 on "Southampton".You say he travelled with other Harrys.
I confirm that it was the mother Mary not the child buried 1843.
Children Anna Maria and William also look to have travelled alone unless there was aq nanny with them.

As you say the age of Mary in 1850 could be in error. However I think she had died.

Strange that we can't find baptisms.

Rex

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 October 16 09:11 BST (UK) »
There is a tree that suggests the Mary in 1851 was a  Mary Lavven Nicholas and the children do appear to be listed near to a Nicholas family in 1849 and living with a Nicholas family in 1851??

Kay

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 October 16 09:48 BST (UK) »
Well done Kay.
That is starting to make sense.
I had noticed the Nicholas family not only on the same passenger list as Anna Maria and William but also together on the 1850 Census Carroll Maryland,(Nicholas , Mary and four Harry children )
We have a mixture o f Nicholas as both Christian and surname.( Colin , Loveday and three Nicholas children).

I am now thinking Mary Harry is nee Mary Lavvan Nicholas.
Just to complicate matters , seems Nicholas Harry married 2. Mary Lavvan Nicholas.

Rex

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 October 16 09:52 BST (UK) »
I found this baptism for Mary -https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JQ34-7Y5

Two marriages for Nicolas Harry and Mary Lavvan Nicholas??