Author Topic: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W  (Read 159502 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: George Hood 1815 Selby Marriage - James Cookin / James Cook in W
« Reply #891 on: Thursday 23 November 17 13:22 GMT (UK) »
The years 1806/8 to 1812 (George Hood death 1845 Selby) from being abt 21 years in Circa 1806/8 old to abt 25 years old 1812/13 being a man. On assumption now you have found a definite possibility that the  lost Presbyterian records 1707 to 1796- George could have been in those birth records circa 1784-1788 as you stated earlier, therefore is it possible George Hood d 1845 could be mentioned as a man 1806 to 1812 in any other Presbyterian records

(and Mark- its very impressive the way you have found Quaker records - so are there any other related Presbyterian records say 1806-1812 local to Selby you can find that may mention George in them as a man full age or even John Hood buried 1819 likely same man as husband John Hood, mariner, of Jane Hood burial 1803)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: Thursday 23 November 17 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The signature of Wm Hood on the marriage of Richard Borthwick looks like it could possibly be WOOD. Will add it to post when I get on my laptop, but will search for a marriage for comparison.

Well, I've enlarged the image, and I'm not sure now. there is a definite difference in how the letter 'W' was formed in Wm, and in the surname. I've left a red mark where I believe the letter began
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: Thursday 23 November 17 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Looks nearer Wm Wood, than Wm Hood.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: Friday 24 November 17 08:43 GMT (UK) »
http://etheses.whiterose.ac.uk/4246/1/DX093164.pdf

Thank you dobfarm

What I did notice, were that the relations of George Cooke of Selby, carried the SELBY Surname. Fn.54
54. Selby Peculiar Court 1682

Reference to the large Tannery in Gowthorpe and William Todd (died 1743), recorded with 191 skins, 2 Tubs of hides and "30 hides in the Owze", [Ouse / Ouze] that is some Tannery!

17th Century (too early), but an Abraham Gibson was a Cooper, of Cawood.

-----------

Claire has spotted an 1811 Census for SNAITH in the CLARK & Co Solicitors documents at East Riding Archives.

Also some interesting information here about surviving PRE - 1841 Census here.
The link deals with 1811 (Indexed by County and then places)
http://www.1911census.org.uk/1811.htm

1831 Census for SNAITH Details of individuals and their names were not recorded in the official Census returns.
1811 Census for SNAITH and also SKIPWITH Details of individuals and their names were not recorded in the official Census returns.

Kind regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: Friday 24 November 17 09:39 GMT (UK) »

Thank you dobfarm

What I did notice, were that the relations of George Cooke of Selby, carried the SELBY Surname. Fn.54
54. Selby Peculiar Court 1682

Added: Upon reflection, I feel this Cooke (with Selby relations) will be going back 100 years too far and even further back.

Selby of Selby
On his tomb, Selby claimed to have ‘sprung from the ancient and illustrious family of the Selbys of Selby in the county of York’. His family’s connections with Newcastle began in around 1500 with William Selby, who served as sheriff. William’s son became an alderman, while his grandson served as mayor, and subsequently MP for the town in 1572. The family also claimed kinship with Odinel Selby†, who arrived in Berwick-upon-Tweed under Henry VIII, and whose descendants settled at Twizell, Branxton and other nearby manors.14

R. Welford, Hist. Newcastle and Gateshead, 266-7;
Surtees, ii. 274-5;
Durham Vis. Peds. ed. Foster, 283.

http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1604-1629/member/selby-sir-george-15567-1625

Some HOODs at Twizell, Yorkshire, in the 1841 Census

Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: Saturday 25 November 17 01:25 GMT (UK) »
This sounds quite interesting

It would seem that Selby had an Endowed School (formed in 1716) that was run by the trustees of the Independent Chapel
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: Saturday 25 November 17 19:16 GMT (UK) »
https://archive.org/stream/collectiorerume00ducagoog#page/n495/mode/2up/search/selby

Page 443  School 6 children Boys to read, girls read, knit &  sew

Full book pages for Selby bottom orange balloons (wait a few minutes for link to search)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: Saturday 25 November 17 21:04 GMT (UK) »
https://archive.org/stream/collectiorerume00ducagoog#page/n495/mode/2up/search/selby

Page 443  School 6 children Boys to read, girls read, knit &  sew

Full book pages for Selby bottom orange balloons (wait a few minutes for link to search)

Thank you Claire

There was provision by the Independents to provide Schooling according to Roger A Bellingham's PhD Thesis (online) of Leicester University, on Selby and several other towns. Only Selby out of those towns the author featured was also Nonconformist, he mentions this was noted in 1743, information likely from the report made by Archbishop Herring's Visitation returns 1743.

He also cites some later Public Record Office (TNA) Home Office files, so the government looks to have been collecting information on Selby Nonconformism.

Selby of old, was one of the few places where the majority could sign their own name. An indication of teaching by the Non-conformists, Quakers and as dobfarm points out the Parish and Charities (in the link).

There you are Goughy you bright sparks!  ;D

Thanks dobfarm,

Another interesting find, you found dobfarm! Barlby (Post Town Selby) under the Parish of Hemingborough.

Also Others (and expect there are possibly more).

Wistow, All Saints (Post Town Selby), page 83.
Archbishop Mountayn's Charity. Rent of 13 acres of land, for apprenticing poor boys.
Robert Shaw's Charity, by Will dated 29th December 1719.
Rent-charge 5l. per annum, to a Schoolmaster, for teaching 10 poor boys to read and write.

Selby St Mary and St German, pages 74 & 75
Blue-coat Charity. Rent of 8 acres of land, for clothing and instructing poor boys.
Joshua Rayner's charity, by Will dated 28th February 1710. Rent of 9A.0R. 38P. of land to a Schoolmaster, for teaching 6 poor boys to read and write. Eleven boys are now taught, and also clothed once in two years.

Noticed, The Parish of Selby is partly within the liberty of St. Peter of York.

Mark