Author Topic: J Steele,Musselburgh  (Read 3568 times)

Offline Jessie 46

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: J Steele,Musselburgh
« Reply #18 on: Friday 07 October 16 15:09 BST (UK) »

Hi again,

David Cairns Steele was born 4Th May 1872 at Dreghorn Ayrshire son of Henry Steele and Sarah

Cairns he died 7Th April 1935  and is buried at St. Michael's Churchyard better known as Inveresk

Cemetery Musselburgh .

Jessie

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My G Grandfather - Robert Johnstone Moffat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 07 October 16 16:36 BST (UK) »
There is a David Steel living in a house at 34 Beach Lane Musselburgh on 1920 Valuation Roll.
Could be J Steele's father, then.

If J Steele was 29 years old on 27 March 1925, he must have been born in 1895/6.

Searching the index to the 1911 census on SP for steel*, j*, age13 to 17, other person in household David, produces 17 results including John Steele, aged 15, in Portobello, Midlothian. Portobello is in the next parish to Musselburgh, so this looks promising.

The family is at 7 Eastfield, Portobello, and consists of David C Steele, 39; Isabella, 48; and four children including John, aged 15, apprentice blacksmith in coal mining, born Ayrshire, Dreghorn. Isabella is the mother of 7 children, all living, but John is the last on the page so the other three must be on the next page. I didn't spend another 6 credits to look at them.

I think there is a reasonable chance that this is the J Steele you are looking for.

Thank you so much for this and using your credits, I appreciate they are expensive and are used up so quickly. I have to say, it all looks promising.
I am going to study every ones information and will get back onto SP. Will get back to you soon, as I am away for a few days, break.

cupcake
Moffat- Mein - Titterington - Kidman

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 07 October 16 16:40 BST (UK) »

Hi,
     There is a David Steel living in a house at 34 Beach Lane Musselburgh on 1920 Valuation Roll.

Jessie

****ADDED ----Just had to have a look at valuation roll ---  he is a tenant and a brickworker ----- there was a brickworks in Portobello which is just about 2 miles away

Many thanks for all the information. As I said to Forfarian, it is very much appreciated. I will take time to go through it all after my break away.

Cupcake

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 07 October 16 16:50 BST (UK) »
If I were you I would try the following.

All males over 21 were given the vote in 1918. So J Steele should be listed in the Register of Electors (Voters' Roll) between then and 1925. If he is, the Register will tell you his forename and should tell you if he had any middle initial.

It should also list other voters (if any) in the household, which may reveal the forename(s) of his father and/or brother(s).

Using this information you should be able to find him in the 1901 or 1911 census, which will tell you where he was born, and allow you to find his birth. From then on, you're motoring.

The snag about this is that the Registers of Electors are not available online, so you would need to find someone who is willing to look them up for you, and to follow the household back in time as far as possible. They can be consulted in various libraries etc in and around Edinburgh.

There is also a possibility that he didn't register to vote, or that he wasn't living with his father or brothers, in which case it's back to the drawing board, I'm afraid.

I will give it a try but, it is a snag though, that the Registers of Electors are not available online. Will have to think about Edinburgh.

Cupcake

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 07 October 16 17:03 BST (UK) »
Could be J Steele's father, then.

If J Steele was 29 years old on 27 March 1925, he must have been born in 1895/6.

Searching the index to the 1911 census on SP for steel*, j*, age13 to 17, other person in household David, produces 17 results including John Steele, aged 15, in Portobello, Midlothian. Portobello is in the next parish to Musselburgh, so this looks promising.

The family is at 7 Eastfield, Portobello, and consists of David C Steele, 39; Isabella, 48; and four children including John, aged 15, apprentice blacksmith in coal mining, born Ayrshire, Dreghorn. Isabella is the mother of 7 children, all living, but John is the last on the page so the other three must be on the next page. I didn't spend another 6 credits to look at them.

I think there is a reasonable chance that this is the J Steele you are looking for.

John, aged 15, apprentice blacksmith in coal mining - there could be a connection with a mine pumper :-\

cc