Author Topic: Massachusetts: Cornelius BRYANT, born Woolwich, Kent 05/12/1836  (Read 684 times)

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Massachusetts: Cornelius BRYANT, born Woolwich, Kent 05/12/1836
« on: Tuesday 11 October 16 14:18 BST (UK) »
Hello,

A RootChatter helping to trace the above in the UK suggested he may have enlisted in the US Navy at Boston in May 1861.  The link below provides details of his name variations etc. from that thread.   I would be delighted if someone can confirm or otherwise the US connection and, if yes, the possibility any other life details may be available:   

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=757223.new;topicseen#new

Thank you for any help you can offer 8)  ::)

BAC3

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Massachusetts: Cornelius BRYANT, born Woolwich, Kent 05/12/1836
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 October 16 17:55 BST (UK) »
The 1861 enlistment record  has his description:

Eyes:  Hazel
Complexion: Light
Hair: Black
Height 5' 6"

The Newgate record from 1852 (aged 16) has this description:

Eyes:  Hazel
Complexion: Fresh
Hair: Brown
Height 5' 1"
Freckled

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 October 16 09:20 BST (UK) »
Here is the entry for Cornelius Bryant in "Massachusetts soldiers, sailors, and marines in the Civil War, volume VII".

This book is out of copyright and freely downloadable from the Massachusetts Archives website. http://archives.lib.state.ma.us/handle/2452/50883

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 October 16 09:30 BST (UK) »
Morning ShaunJ,

These details make it seem so plausible this is the "British" Cornelius BRYANT.   Sadly, there has been no response from the United States yet.  Thank you.

BAC3

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 October 16 20:48 BST (UK) »
ShaunJ,

I have not any response from "across the pond" which is a great pity considering the information you uncovered.   It looks as though Mr. BRYANT, of various spellings, may have to be consigned to the pending tray.

My thanks for all your help

BAC3

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 October 16 11:24 BST (UK) »
I'll just add a few odd bits of research:

I couldn't find a Cornelius Bryant in the Boston censuses for 1860 or 1870, and nothing matching this Cornelius Bryant in any other US census.

The Boston Traveler for July 16 1859 reports a Police Court item: Cornelius Bryant held for trial at the Superior Court for sending a threatening letter to W. Goodwin, a shoe dealer

Boston Herald of May 24 1860: Superior Court - Cornelius Bryant again brought up on old charge of writing a threatening letter. Bail increased to $300.

Boston Herald of June 15, 1860: Cornelius Bryant, indicted for sending a threatening letter, was discharged, the indictment being laid on file.

Boston Herald, November 20, 1862 - Cornelius Bryan fined $3 as a simple drunk and $4 for destroying city property in a police station house

Boston Herald: December 13, 1862 - Common Drunkard Cornelius Bryan - 2 months H of I

Boston Herald, March 29, 1867: Cornelius Bryant charges with two violations of city ordinances by peddling fruit on Court and Hanover Streets

Boston Journal October 3, 1872: itinerant fruit vendor Cornelius Bryant, in a drunken state, attacked a boy he thought was stealing apples from his cart, seizing him by the throat and choking him seriously.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 October 16 11:36 BST (UK) »
But also note that there is an 1867 (Boston court) naturalisation petition for a Cornelius Bryan, pedlar, born in London on or about 22 April 1837, came to the US as a minor in 1853. He's crossed out the bit about having enlisted in the volunteer forces. 

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 October 16 11:44 BST (UK) »
Good Morning ShaunJ,

You are putting in a valiant effort and the more you post the more it seems very likely that Cornelius BRYANT, of many name variations, may indeed have migrated to the USA.   So I am tempted to assume that is the case.   A pity there are no definitive passenger lists for that period, although, of course, he could have worked his passage very easily from London.

I am grateful and appreciative of your help.

For now,

BAC3