Author Topic: Very unusual burial entry  (Read 817 times)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Very unusual burial entry
« on: Wednesday 12 October 16 18:38 BST (UK) »
This afternoon I was going through the burial registers for All Saints, Daresbury, and came across a strange entry for 12th September 1915:

"Legs of Charles William Roberts taken from canal at Keckwick other portion of Body Buried at Dunham Massey in Altrincham. Late of 2 Dobson St, Warrington"

The Warrington Guardian provided a report of the inquest at Moore. It appears that Charles had joined up two months earlier and was stationed at St. Helens. He had gone absent, and been at home. He kissed his family goodbye, and departed. He left a note on the kitchen table saying "God protect my little children". on the 6th of September the upper part of his body was found in the Bridgewater Canal at Dunham Massey, and an inquest held there. His injuries were consistent with being hit by the propeller of a vessel. The lower part of his body was then found at Keckwick, and his army boots enabled his identity to be traced.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Very unusual burial entry
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 October 16 09:30 BST (UK) »

How terribly sad:-(

It sounds like an unfortunate suicide.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 October 16 09:38 BST (UK) »
Luckily, the verdict was just "found dead", so the family was spared most of the stigma of suicide.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 October 16 12:07 BST (UK) »
A sad story.  But I do wonder why, if the burial place of the body was known, the legs were buried elsewhere.
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 October 16 20:01 BST (UK) »
The rest of the body had already been buried some days earlier, following an inquest at which the man's identity was unknown.

Disturbing that burial would have been an offence.