Author Topic: Robert Simpson, Department store in Toronto  (Read 2090 times)

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Simpson, Department store in Toronto
« on: Friday 14 October 16 08:24 BST (UK) »
Has anybody any knowledge of the Robert Simpson who opened a large department store in Toronto.  He died in Toronto 14th December1897

On a plaque in Toronto it states he came from Inverness and emigrated around 1856. 

I have explored the internet and it also states he was from Strathspey.  It also says there is a plaque near his birthplace in  Inverness.  Don't believe everything you read on the internet, I hear you say.

His parents are quoted as a Peter Simpson and Jane Christie.  There are a couple with the same name on Libindx who are buried in Enzie but I don't think they are his parents.
If anybody can help it would be much appreciated.

Betty

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Simpson, Department store in Toronto
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 October 16 09:50 BST (UK) »
The following is a transcript of Robert Simpson born 17 Sep 1834 Speymouth, Moray, Scotland, parents Peter Simpson & Jane Christie. I sure the record will be on Scotlands People.

Three family trees for Robert, on An…..y, show the date of death you mention but none have noted his parents.
They do note that he married Mary Ann Botsford on March 29, 1859, in Newmarket, Ontario. They had one child Margaret Simpson born in 1860.

1841 - Nother Town Of Drumbain (as noted) Moray
Peter Simpson    30 – Ag Lab
Jane Simpson    30
Robert Simpson    6
Peter Simpson    4
James Simpson    2

1851 - South Side Of Elgin Road, Garmouth, Moray
Peter Simpson    43   Bellie, banffshire
Jane Simpson    42   Raffan, banffshire
James Simpson    10   Aberlour, morayshire
Margaret Simpson    6   Garmouth, morayshire
Hellen Simpson    4   ditto
Alexander Simpson    11 Mo   ditto

Peter senior was a Carter he is still on the census returns until 1891 age 84, with his daughter Helen. Jane was on the 1881 but not 1891. By 1881 Peter is a Crofter at
Newtonbrae, Banffshire.

Hope some of this helps.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 October 16 11:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks Colin for all the information you have given me.  It confirms everything I have.

On IGI it gives the birth of Robert as 16th September 1834 with parents as Peter Simpson and Jane Christie.  This is the same date of birth given on the site Find a Grave.

i would be inclined to agree that the family you followed on the census are the parents of Robert apart from the fact that records in Canada indicate that he worked in his father's store before emigrating.  Maybe a bit of exageration on his part!  Also information from Canada indicate that he came from Inverness.

If he came from the Elgin area I would have thought that the site Libindx would have an entry for him

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Betty

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 October 16 12:43 BST (UK) »
In 1851 there is a Robert Simpson age 17 (1834) born Abenbury, Banffshire, he is a Servant (Shopboy) at 11 Douglas Row, Inverness. The business is run by Alexander Simpson age 29 (1822) born Gannowsh, Morayshire, his wife is Anna, they have 3 children age 1 to 5. Alexander is  Grover & Spirit Merchant.

This seems to be the only likely return for Robert. I cannot pinpoint Abenbury but it could be in the area of Speymouth?
I suspect that Alexander & Peter could be related but I cannot find anything obvious .

All census returns for Roberts father Peter state that he was born in Bellie, Banffshire the site below explains the area.

http://www.abdnet.co.uk/genuki/BAN/Bellie/index.html

Regards

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 October 16 16:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Colin for your time.  Much appreciated.

I will have a look in to what you have given me to see where it leads.  I had a quick look but nothing concrete yet.  I think the place names may have been transcribed wrong.  I wonder if Gannowsh should read Garmouth.  Unless you know of this place.

Thanks again.
Betty

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 October 16 17:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Betty
I think you are correct about the place names. It's not an easy area to research and of course as you probably know not all births were recorded.
I note some An....y trees include Alexander and suggest he died after the 1851 census, apparently he married Anna Mellis in 1845, I cannot confirm the info?

Regards
Colin

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 October 16 20:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin

I think we might be on to something with the Alexander Simpson and Anna Mellis.  I see an entry on Libindx that the daughter Penelope married.  She died in Canada.  Her burial place is Newmarket.  That is where Robert Simpson lived for a time when he emigrated.

Although not mentioned on the 1851 census I wonder if Alexander and Anna were Robert's aunt and uncle. 
Thanks
Betty

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 15 October 16 01:47 BST (UK) »
Hello,
     Looks like Alexander & Anna Simpson from the 1851 Scotland Census emigrated to Canada.
       1861 Canada Census. West Flamboro, Wentworth, Canada West.
     Alexr.  Simpson 39 b Scotland. Tavern Keeper.
     Anna         "      40 b        "
     Penelope  "       15 b        "
     Anna         "       13 b       "
     Alexr.        "         9 b       "
     Eliza          "         6 b       "
     Robina      "          3 b U.C. (Upper Canada)

1901 Canada Census. New Market, Ontario.
     Anna Simpson 80 Widow Relationship: Mother. Born: Scotland, 15 Oct.1820. Emigrated: 1855.
     Living with daughter Penelope Cochenour 55 Born: Scotland, 4 Mar.1846. Emigrated: 1855.

Although son James is not listed on the 1861 Canada Census, there is a marriage for
     James Mellis Simpson, 28, son of Alexander & Anna Simpson, born Inverness, & Jessie Burnett, at Northumberland, Ontario, on 8th Jan. 1878.

Perhaps Robert emigrated with this family.

Regards,     Dod.
"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 15 October 16 04:47 BST (UK) »
Just wondering if Grover (Reply #3) is a mistranscription of a Granger/Grainer (dealing with grain) which would be used in spirits?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"