Author Topic: KIDNAP STORY! >> 1891 (Glous) - Albert BARRINGTON  (Read 4868 times)

Offline v i c k y

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
KIDNAP STORY! >> 1891 (Glous) - Albert BARRINGTON
« on: Sunday 24 July 05 13:36 BST (UK) »
The story goes that Albert Barrington (a possible relation by the looks of it) was kidnapped and taken to America. I don't know when, only that it was when he was a boy.

---------------------------------------------------

Here's the possible record of his birth:

BARRINGTON, Albert Edward
December 1875
Bristol, Avon Gloucestershire
Volume 6a Page 24

I think this is him on the 1881 census:

Name: Albert Barrington
Age in 1881: 5 
Estimated birth year: abt 1876 
Relationship to head-of-household: Boarder (Hmm, mysterious?)
Where born: Bristol
Address: 3 Redcross Lane 
Civil parish: Bristol St Philip & Jacob In 
County/Island: Gloucestershire 

RG11/2470  (Folio 67, Page 15)

And this is the family he's boarding with (1881 census):

HEAD: Susan Headford, born about 1818 in Bedminster, Bristol. A 63-year old charwoman.
SON: Frederick Headford, born about 1858 in Bristol. A 23-year old boot finisher.
SON: George Headford, born about 1861 in Bristol. A 20-year old boot finisher.

:-\ If any relations to the Headford family are reading, please don't think I'm trying to accuse your ancestors of kidnapping this boy! I'm just following a good story! :P

None of the neighbours' names are significant. I just thought it odd that a five-year old would board with a family that, at least as far as I'm aware, has no family connection. Of course it could be completely innocent and the Headfords were taking care of him.

Could someone look for him - and possibly Susan Headford - on the 1891 census, please? I really want to know who Albert's parents were. I have a hunch, but would prefer fact. I doubt the 1891 census would reveal this, but I don't want to request the birth certificate unless I really have to, as I've gone OTT with the GRO this week and am not even sure he's related yet.

If he is related, then he'd have been my g-g-grandfather's cousins son. I think. ;)

Would 1837online reveal the names of his parents? I can't remember what they offered when I was signed up at around Christmas. All I know is that I couldn't find much and almost all my credits expired. (If only I'd known about RootsChat then, I could have put them to good use).

Thanking you in advance,
An intrigued half-Barrington :P

Just found a record of the possible death of Susan Headford, so looking for her on the 1891 census might be a waste of time. She would have been about 73 after all. But maybe her sons?

HEADFORD, Susan
1890 September (Age 72)
Bristol Avon Gloucestershire
Volume 6a Page 15
Barrington, Westerman (originally from Hannover), Long (originally from Prussia), Lorymore, Flyng, Porter - all Bristol, Gloucestershire.
Grimes - Bridgwater, Somerset.
Lamb - Poplar, Essex, Hither Green, Kent.
Dwan, Turner, Cole, Carter, Walker, Kay, Hughes, Maplesden - all St Olaves/Bermondsey/Rotherhithe/Southwark/Stepney/Lambeth/Wandsworth.

Offline piedstilt

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "Show me the way to go home ..."
    • View Profile
Re: KIDNAP STORY! >> 1891 (Glous) - Albert BARRINGTON
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 July 05 13:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Vicky,

I don’t know if this is going to support your kidnap story or not, but Ancestry has an Albert Barrington on the 1920 census, happily married in Kansas with a wife, two sons and two daughters. His dob is c. 1876, he was born in England and it says he arrived in the States in 1884!

Cheers,

Ros
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline v i c k y

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 July 05 14:58 BST (UK) »
:o Oooh, thanks for that, Ros. Very interesting...

Have got to find out more!
Barrington, Westerman (originally from Hannover), Long (originally from Prussia), Lorymore, Flyng, Porter - all Bristol, Gloucestershire.
Dwan, Turner, Cole, Carter, Walker, Kay, Hughes, Maplesden - all St Olaves/Bermondsey/Rotherhithe/Southwark/Stepney/Lambeth/Wandsworth.

Offline v i c k y

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 July 05 19:52 BST (UK) »
Just to let anyone who's interested in this story know, I've started a thread on the Headford brothers here:

1891 (Gloucestershire) - HEADFORD
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,76132.0.html

Thanks,
Vicky

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 July 05 23:09 BST (UK) »
Asked Annie for a US lookup and she found this:

Name:       Albert Barrington
Arrival Date:       28 Feb 1882
Estimated Birth Year:       1872
Port of Departure:       Liverpool, England and Queenstown, Ireland
Destination:       United States of America
Place of Origin:       England
Ship Name:       Helvetia
Port of Arrival:       New York
Line:       17
Microfilm Roll:       447
List Number:       235

he's with a woman called Mary Barrington aged 35 and another child aged 11 there maybe a male with them but if he is -  he's on another part of the manifest

Don't know if it helps, also found the Headford kids in 1891 and nothing useful there.

Kev.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

wood,west,williams,morgan,sollars,hawker,snell,roach,clark,symons. In bristol,fremington,instow,rhymney,colyton

Offline v i c k y

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 July 05 12:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, Kev. Great to know who he was with.

I've got a lot of possible Barrington relations jotted down on paper, so will try to find out if there's a Mary Barrington, aged 35, who had another child aged 11. I'm trying to match them up as much as possible to make it easier to track them and to then decide if (how) they're related to my lot.

Thanks again for the information. The mystery gets deeper! ;)

Best wishes,
Vicky

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 July 05 13:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Vicky pretty sure the 11 year old is also called Mary.

Kev.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

wood,west,williams,morgan,sollars,hawker,snell,roach,clark,symons. In bristol,fremington,instow,rhymney,colyton

Offline v i c k y

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 July 05 13:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. :) Can't find a match yet, but will keep looking.

The kidnapping bit might be a load of nonsense. You know how these things grow and how people can get the wrong end of the stick. A lady from America wrote to me asking if there's a connection to my Barringtons. Said that her g-grandfather was Albert Barrington and that he was kidnapped and taken to America as a boy. She thinks the father could be Jonah - and I've got a Jonah on my tree. But either she's got the father's name wrong or the mother just decided to emigrate and there's nothng sinister involved. I've written to her and told her that she might want to order this birth certificate to find out for sure who his parents were:

BARRINGTON, Albert Edward
December 1875
Bristol, Avon Gloucestershire
Volume 6a Page 24

Anyway, thanks again for taking an interest in this. Much appreciated. :)

All the best with your own research,
Vicky

Offline jahnnieb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 10 July 15 19:38 BST (UK) »
Vicky,
I know a lot about Albert, he was my great grandfather.  Could you please contact me at *

Thanks,
Jahnnie Brake

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php