Author Topic: Mary Nixon - where did she come from and where did she go?  (Read 2521 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Nixon - where did she come from and where did she go?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 16 October 16 19:50 BST (UK) »
It's from my posting on your other thread on the handwriting board, sami.  I found it earlier today.

Just found this, not sure if you have it:

Marriage - 14 Nov 1898 1808 Lichfield  Benjamin Nixon  to Ann Haywood.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 16 October 16 20:59 BST (UK) »
Oh boy - I am confused when I don't recognise my own threads  :-[

....and yes I did have that Nixon / Haywood marriage but just a few years earlier  ;)

I've started to haul out all of my Nixon research - good thing I keep all my papers  :)

Ann also had a sister Sarah (born around 1817). She married a Charles Peakman in 1844. I've followed them into the 1920's but never found any connections to my own family.

sami
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 16 October 16 21:04 BST (UK) »
Sorry - finger slipped - I meant 1808  ;D

I'll put an addendum on my post.

Moving between the keyboards of desktop - laptop - tablet causes me all sorts of probs as I still expect a proper keyboard  ::)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 16 October 16 21:11 BST (UK) »
Hi again, in 1901 census, John/Matilda Hughes have in the household an Ann Nixon 73 Mother in Law/Single b Walsall? Staffordshire, in Herefordshire
Census Ref RG13/2477/19/15

Keyboard86

EDIT Ann Nixon appears to have died Dec qtr 1904 Hereford 6a 339 aged 75

So we have another anomaly, baptism on other thread 1823 and the 1829 above?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 16 October 16 21:18 BST (UK) »

So we have another anomaly, baptism on other thread 1823 and the 1829 above?
Keyboard86

I've not known consistent ages/dates of birth on many of my ancestors for many reasons.  Six years is hardly a large error.

I have some of mine going backwards between censuses  ;D

Added - Forgotten how to add links to Familysearch records but here goes~

baptism -  https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JWCW-3DD
1841 census - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQTS-5YF
1851 census - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGG3-8NL

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 17 October 16 20:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget and Keyboard86  :)

Just thought I'd let you know I've ordered 3 certificates from the GRO:

Mary Nixon's 1864 birth cert
Mary Nixon's 1886 marriage cert
Ann Nixon's 1904 death cert

Don't know if there will be much useful information on any of them but I'm interested in what they show. As the saying goes - "Hope springs eternal". Will let you know the results when they arrive.

sami

England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 04 January 17 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Hope everyone had a Happy Christmas and New Year  :)

Between one thing and another I'm finally getting round to posting information about the three certificates (previous post referring to Mary Nixon certs should read Matilda Nixon 1864 birth cert and Matilda Nixon 1886 marriage cert):

Matilda Nixon 1864 birth cert - Born 12 Dec 1863, no father listed, mother - Mary Nixon. Registration District Derby, St Peter, Derby.

Matilda Nixon (aged 22)/John Hughes 1886 marriage cert - Bride's Father, Charles Nixon, Farmer. (Possible that the bride's father - Charles Nixon - is made up for the occasion)

Ann Nixon - 1904 death cert - age 75 - informant: M. Hughes, daughter. (Looks likely that the daughter is Matilda Hughes formerly Matilda Nixon)

Plus there was another birth registration for Tilly Nevill Nixon that was interesting because of the name combinations. I ordered the PDF from the GRO:

Tilly Nevill Nixon - birth registered 4rth qu 1860 - Derby, Derbyshire.
Born 09 Oct 1860, no father listed, mother - Mary Nixon. Registration District Derby, St Peter, Derby.

All of this still leaves me confused about these people and the relationships between them although there does seem to be some kind of connection between the Nixon, Nevill, Blower, and Stone names. Now my problems seem to be:

- Matilda's birth date - there's quite a difference from the 12 Dec 1863 on the birth cert to the 08 Oct 1866 on the 1939 register. Perhaps the 1866 date is the baptism, but it is also interesting that the Tilly Nevill Nixon birth date is 09 Oct 1860. I haven't been able to find any other reference to this latter name.

- Ann Nixon's birth date which seems to range from 1823 to 1829.

- The interchange between the names Ann Nixon and Mary Nixon. When Matilda is born the mother's name is Mary, but in the 1901 census the mother's name is Ann. Plus Matilda is the informant for Ann, her mother's death in 1904. So possibly there are two people - Ann and Mary Nixon - or, the right Matilda hasn't been found yet.

sami