Author Topic: GEDmatch - is it safe?  (Read 5003 times)

Offline lullaby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
GEDmatch - is it safe?
« on: Sunday 16 October 16 10:59 BST (UK) »
I am a complete dummy when it comes down to interpreting DNA and genetics so although I took a Family Finder test several years back and in the absence of any matches which were totally obvious, I put it on the backburner and vaguely hoped that if anything cropped up, someone might contact me!

However, a few days back someone suggested that I download my raw data to GEDmatch so I have spent several hours going through my results (which have snowballed from about 200 to just under 800 in the meantime.)   I still can find nothing to get excited about - the longest strand (I think that is the right term!) is 34 (3rd cousin is mentioned) and the surnames mean nothing to me.   I seem to have nine matches only over 20.

Then I decided to access the GEDmatch website with a view to opening an account - but Google will not allow me to access it apparently for security/safety reasons.   I have looked through my settings and think I have found the reason but should I seriously be concerned?   This is the first time I have been barred from a website.

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
Re: GEDmatch - is it safe?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 October 16 11:04 BST (UK) »
There was an issue over the past few days with a number of website's security certificates expiring.

See: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/10/13/globalsigned_off/

www.gedmatch.com was one of them but is perfectly safe.

In a couple of days the databases will be updated but in the meantime, there are ways round the 'warning'.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-ie/kb/931850
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline lullaby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: GEDmatch - is it safe?
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 October 16 11:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for this information.   I don't particularly want to change my settings so will leave it for a few days and try again.