Author Topic: Rev. John Graham, Rotha Street Greenock  (Read 3024 times)

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Rev. John Graham, Rotha Street Greenock
« on: Thursday 20 October 16 18:36 BST (UK) »
 Rev. John Graham lived at numbers 11, and 15, Rotha St. Greenock,  in the 1930's.  I wish to find if he was married and had children, in particular if he had a daughter named Gwendoline.  I would appreciate any information regarding Rev. John Graham.
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.

Offline orkrad

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rev. John Graham, Rotha Street Greenock
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 October 16 02:05 GMT (UK) »
 Hi there   it seems that the address you were looking for was The Manse for  "The Crawfurdsburn Free Church  " at Ratho St Greenock  at the time you were asking about. I did a quick Google check Rev John Graham Crawfurdsburn Free Church 1930  and  the fourth entry down  under Ministers ecclegen ( a register of ecclesiastics of the Free Church of Scotland ) has an Elspeth Scrymgeour born around  1903 ( in the Channel Islands)  whose father and grandfather were ministers  of the Free Church of Scotland  marrying a John Graham on 21st Nov 1917 at Dennistoun Glasgow  who served at Crawfurdsburn Free Church.

I am almost certain that this church no longer exists and has merged with neighbouring churches. Ratho Street Greenock  has undergone many changes  since  the  early sixties and there are not many photos of the old neighbourhood on Google images.  I used to travel that street when i worked in Greenock in the 1960's and on a recent visit there found it almost unrecognisable.

I hope someone local will be along soon to confirm the details about the church.  The    Inverclyde public library may have some details or information  that could be useful.

Regards Orkrad

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 October 16 09:32 GMT (UK) »
After 22 years at Crawfurdsburn the Reverend John Graham became the Minister at Lecropt Church, Bridge of Allan, in late 1945.

The newspapers papers carried various tributes to him and his career at Crawfurdsburn but none mention his family situation.

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 October 16 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both very much for the information on the Rev. Graham.  His wife's name is particularly interesting and should enable me to move further forward with my research.
I wonder, did any of the reports mention his work with or amongst the Seamen's Missions at Greenock Docks?

Regards

Purlin 
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 October 16 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Correction to previous post - have found an item in the Stirling Observer, Thur 23 Aug, 1945 about a welcome meeting to receive the Rev John Graham at Lecropt which mentions family -

" ....The congregation also very cordially welcomed the Misses Graham ........... that Miss Graham and her brother and sister would have many years of happiness in Lecropt"

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 31 October 16 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to butt in but I hadn't seen this posting and I've been helping Purlin with the query off list  since yesterday.  From other newspaper reports, he moved to Greenock from Aberdeen.

This to add to HT's find.

Mr Graham came rich in experience. After more than twenty years in a busy city church he deserved the comparative rest and leisure of a country charge. But Mr Graham also came as one who had links with the country. He was a farmer's son and his own tastes, as he had said, were towards the country, and so all sides felt happy about the call.

Stirling Observer, 19 June 1945.

Orkrad - could you give the ref to your find, please,  as we can find no marriage in 1917 in Dennistoun and the lady would only be about 14 or so.  I have found a person with that name  who was born in Glasgow in 1903 but was in Battersea later on. Her family didn't seem to be Ministers.

Gadget

Added - Rev John Graham died 1st March 1960, Lecropt Manse.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 31 October 16 19:30 GMT (UK) »
In reporting the election of the Rev John Graham to Crawfurdsburn, Greenock, from Garmouth, the Aberdeen Journal, 22 Feb 1923, describes him as " a native of Greenock"

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 31 October 16 19:39 GMT (UK) »
The same publication, 6 Jul 1928

"... Miss Chrissie Graham, graduate M.A Glasgow University. She is a sister of the late Rev. Mr Graham, Garmouth U.F. Church."

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 31 October 16 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi HT

I did think that the Misses Graham were his sisters as his death cert says he was single.  His parents were Dugald and Sarah Graham (from death cert)

This is what I've got for him from various searches:

Born circa 1889 Greenock.
Then Glasgow University, UF College,  Assistant to UF Minister, war work, 

Ministries:
1919 - Garmouth
1923 - Greenock
1945  - Bridge of Allan
1960 - death, B of A, aged 71.

I have found him with his parents and sibs in the 1891 and 1901 in Greenock.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***