Author Topic: Play Centre, Russell Square 1911  (Read 2170 times)

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Play Centre, Russell Square 1911
« on: Monday 24 October 16 00:00 BST (UK) »
I have a 1911 Census that lists the profession of two relatives as "Play Centre Superintendent" and "Play Centre Worker" They lived at Woburn Place, Russell Square, so I would guess that their place of employment would be nearby.
I am assuming a "Play Centre" is some sort of kindergarten for children? Does anyone have an idea where/if I can find any listing for anything like this?
Hunter, Southam Thomson, White, Cock, Beesley

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Play Centre, Russell Square 1911
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 October 16 01:18 BST (UK) »
A good map here, although not everything is named:
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebyside.cfm#zoom=18&lat=51.5227&lon=-0.1256&layers=176&right=BingHyb

What were their occupations in earlier censuses?

If they are play centre superintendents in the 1911 census, does it show them living in an individual residence, or are they residing on site with other people?  (Eg is it a live-in occupation?)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 October 16 01:29 BST (UK) »
I am wondering if there may be any connection with the Passmore Edwards Settlement in Tavistock Place (near the intersection with Woburn Place)?  :-\

Assuming the play centre relates to children (I have no idea if it does) there is Great Ormond Street Children's hospital nearby, and also the Foundling Hospital.

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 October 16 02:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,
      First of all, thanks for the link to that interactive map! It's amazing! As for 1901 Census, I don't have it to check. One of the people in question would only have been 13 so probably a student on the 1901 census and she's the one that is listed as Play Centre Superintendent. The other person is her aunt, who is 46 in 1911 so would be 36 on the 1901 census. Is there a way upload a clip of the census?

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 October 16 02:39 BST (UK) »
Ruskie,
           I see a school in that Bernard Mews. My family lived at 2 addresses over 20 years...15 Woburn Place, and 53 Bernard Street. They are a block apart with the school in the middle! Safe guess, that's probably it. Do you agree?
I can't get over that map!! Fantastic and many thanks.
Brian

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 October 16 03:58 BST (UK) »
The maps are amazing aren't they. I'm obsessed with the side by side ones. You can select different series from the bar towards the top left but I think the one I provided a link to is the best.

Yes, it could well be that they worked at the school in Bernard Mews. It seems logical if they lived nearby. It depends if "Play Centre" had a similar meaning then as it does today, and whether it would have been a stand alone place or part of another institution, such as a school. I wouldn't like to guess.

Others will probably have some more ideas for you to ponder.  :)

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 October 16 05:15 BST (UK) »
I agree, but it does seem logical that the term Play Centre would be children and with that school being close. The only other explanation would be like Theatrical Plays, but I don't think that would be it. I did find the 1901 Census ( just info, not the actual image ) and they are in the same area, St Giles, Bloomsbury, London, but no address until I can get a look at the real census.
I played around with the other settings on the maps too, and you're right, the setting you had was best, for replication and detail too. I'm now curious as to how wide an area it covers? I love what computers can do! :)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 October 16 07:01 BST (UK) »
The NLS maps cover every town in England, Scotland and Wales and everywhere in between - sometimes different series for different areas (and some not quite as good).

You probably have already worked this out, but you can scroll around and zoom in and out too. Using the cursor you can trace the outlines of streets and houses on one map and see it on the other - useful if you are trying to work out if a family home still stands. You can even see if it has been extended or altered. For those of us trying to find streets our ancestors lived in in big cities like London which have been substantially changed over the years, we can at least get a sense of where they once stood.

Hours and hours of fun to be had.

If you would like to give the names of and any other identifying info for your family I will have a look on the 1901 census for them.

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 24 October 16 07:22 BST (UK) »
The gardens and lawns in the middle of the square may have been the location of the play area, possibly?
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich