Author Topic: LMA Look-Up Request  (Read 495 times)

Offline riholt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
LMA Look-Up Request
« on: Tuesday 25 October 16 10:22 BST (UK) »
Dear All,

I wonder if it would be possible for someone to look up a court record at the LMA? I have all the relevant references to help locate the record.

The reference I have is for a Matthew Buyrn who turns up in HO26 Home Office: Criminal Registers, Middlesex: 1791-1845. I believe this to be my Gx4 Grandfather who went by the name John Dunmore whilst a Royal Marine.

The HO26 record indicates that Matthew Buyrn, age 55, was tried at the County Sessions Clerkenwell, on 8th April 1844 for two convictions of fraud and was imprisoned for 6 weeks for each conviction.

When I emailed the archives I was told the following:

"The Sessions Rolls contain the record of individual trials at courts in Clerkenwell and Westminster. Based on the information which you have obtained from the register in the National Archives, the following roll should contain a record of the trial of Matthew Buyrn.

MJ/SR/4610: Sessions Roll (Sessions of the Peace) 1844 Apr"

The email further explained:

"We hold some indexes that may be worth checking if this arises (complications due to court procedures such as adjournments or difficulty in locating a record). In this case the relevant index would be as follows:-

MJ/CB/002:  List of charges, recognizances to appear, recognizances to prosecute and examinations' 1838 Jan-1844 Dec.  This index is available for consultation by the public on microfilm X071/030."

If anyone can be so kind as to look up the record I would be very grateful.

Many thanks :)

Richard

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: LMA Look-Up Request
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 October 16 12:01 BST (UK) »
Anyone helping should note that LMA's annual closure starts this week (last day Thursday 27th), reopens Monday 14 November.

Offline riholt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: LMA Look-Up Request
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 April 17 13:20 BST (UK) »
I've still not got any further with this. Any help appreciated. This line is rather tricky and has sent me to look into lots of documents I haven't used before.