Author Topic: Black men of Biddulph Moor (BAILEY, BROOKS, NIXON)  (Read 4893 times)

Offline Saxonx

• RootsChat Extra
  • Visit me at www.brooksfamily.name
    • View Profile
Black men of Biddulph Moor (BAILEY, BROOKS, NIXON)
« on: Wednesday 26 October 16 15:08 BST (UK) »
I've been researching the above topic and am particularly keen to hear from anyone with a working knowledge of the BROOKS, NIXON & BAILEY surnames of Biddulph Moor in North Staffordshire.

I am trying to link these families to those of Middleton by Wirksworth in Derbyshire - all three names are associated via an unusual DNA haplogroup in MbyW and the only place I've ever encountered these surnames so prominently in close proximity is here at Biddulph Moor.

The DNA link is particularly relevant as the Hg in question is an predominantly African DNA.....hence my interest in the legend of the Black men of the area and the Crusade origin - as the date of the crusade in question links nicely too - I suspect there may be more than a coincidental link.

If anyone is connected to these surnames in this place and especially if you were a part of a BBC DNA research programme some years ago please contact me.
Brooks originating in Derbyshire. DNA Haplotype E1b1b1b*
Belchamber in Surrey
Stofer anywhere
Hinchcliffe in Hertfordshire ? Kent? Essex?
Brooks in Sheffield
Hurworth in Yorkshire & County Durham
DNA - Haplotype: E1b1b1b*

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Black men of Biddulph Moor
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 October 16 15:12 BST (UK) »
What are the surnames Saxonx?  :-\

Offline Saxonx

• RootsChat Extra
  • Visit me at www.brooksfamily.name
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 October 16 15:13 BST (UK) »
Hi they are BROOKS, BAILEY and NIXON (header updated)

regards
Brooks originating in Derbyshire. DNA Haplotype E1b1b1b*
Belchamber in Surrey
Stofer anywhere
Hinchcliffe in Hertfordshire ? Kent? Essex?
Brooks in Sheffield
Hurworth in Yorkshire & County Durham
DNA - Haplotype: E1b1b1b*

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 October 16 15:14 BST (UK) »
Brooks    Nixon    and Bailey
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Black men of Biddulph Moor (BAILEY, BROOKS, NIXON)
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 October 16 15:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks Saxonx (they weren't there originally though were they - I thought I might have missed something?)   :)

Offline Thunderball

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 December 16 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have Nixons and Baileys in Biddulph Moor back to 1700's

Offline Rob Bailey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 13 December 19 09:54 GMT (UK) »
 :)Hi, I am apparently descended from the 'Blueys', the 'blue clan' of Biddulph Moor Baileys. Apparently other clans were the 'Pinkies' and the 'Flattances'. ( This knowledge comes from research carried out by my late Dad, before the days of the web. ) My ancestors had their own hill...Bailey's Hill on Biddulph Moor.We were descended from 'Big Bill Bailey', who was apparently a cattle dealer, I have no idea on dates. I am clueless re genes, but I do myself have a darkish complexion and dark brown eyes, as did my late Dad Gary Bailey.
My great Grandfather Wilfrid 'Bluey' Bailey was Under Manager at the Victoria Colliery, Brown Lees, until 1939]An incredible chance discovery was made in 1956 by my late Father and Grandfather at nearby Rushton Spencer St Lawrence Church........they accidentally discovered the previously plundered burial vault of the De Trafford family beneath the church , during maintenance work. For the full story, including photos, visit 'Ludchurch; Rushton Church Grave Robbers', and you will see my post at the base of the page.( The attached photo is one of the recovered coffins )
[/b]

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 December 19 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat Rob. Interesting story about the grave robbers and the church.

Have you taken a DNA test? Most of the companies have sales on at the moment so the timing could be right for you. It sounds like Saxonx has taken a Y-DNA test, which are more expensive and provide haplogroups and matches which could go back centuries so there would be no paper trail to find any connections. However even an autosomal test might give you an indication of any African DNA albeit more recent.

Good luck.  :)

Offline Gone

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 November 20 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Every family on the Biddulph Moors had a Bailey connection by marriage so it seems.
The black men of Biddle legend also claims that the 7 Moorish masons bought back from the 3rd crusade by Orm of Biddulph took on the surname "Bailey" their children were said to have had red hair. If there's any truth in the legend, that would explain why so many of my family are gingers.
My maternal grandfather was a "Hulme" who lived on the Moor, they married a Bailey or two.
Biddulph Moor wasn't a great place to live in the mid/late 1800's because of the amount of public houses opening up, and the crime associated with it.
I've one account of my 2x gt grandparents being in court, both black and blue from fighting each other, and my 3x gt grandmother.... A Bailey, pulling out handfuls of her daughter-in-law's hair.
Nothing changes 🙄