Author Topic: Relative in Canada  (Read 3621 times)

Offline Carolebarritt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Relative in Canada
« on: Saturday 29 October 16 14:28 BST (UK) »
Den(n)is Humphry Ellicott - Went to Halifax, Canada in April 1926.  Can't find any others details such as marriage, death etc.  on Ancestry.com.  Where else can I try?  Need help

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Relative in Canada
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 October 16 14:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Welcome to RootsChat

A few more details - Denis Humphrey Ellicott was aged 23 years when he arrived, born 1903. Arrived 1 May 1926 - Zeeland. Going to Winnipeg ( Canadian Government ) Father 5 Queens Gate. Plymouth.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Carolebarritt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 October 16 15:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra,  Thank you so much for that info and taking the time to reply.   I was aware of most of it and so wanted to trace what happened to Dennis after 1926 - I can't find anything.  Where can I look?

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 October 16 15:46 BST (UK) »
Realise what information you would like - posted further details to give others searching a birth year.
Due to stricter privacy laws, there is no BMD index available in Canada. The last census was 1921.  Searching may rely on finding him on a voters list, newspapers or something like that. At the moment nothing positive is showing.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Carolebarritt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 October 16 16:03 BST (UK) »
Once again Sandra thanks for replying.  Cant believe Canada does not publish BMD list.  So until it does or until the next Census ie 1931 is published, there seems to be little I can do.  Is that correct?  Or how do I gain sight to Voters list (would he only be able to vote if he became a Canadian citizien).
I am finding this so frustrating - my Uncle, who is 84 and is a nephew of Denis - showed an interest in Denis and I was attempting to research him and then type it up all and make a Xmas present of it for him.  Not looking good at the moment.  Kind regards Carole

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 October 16 16:08 BST (UK) »
I'm looking on ancestry but unfortunately it shows nothing for that name.  Could Denis have returned to the UK ?  Was there any other reltives in Canada that you know of ? Nothing under initials D H/Denny/Danny/Humphrey Ellicott.

Sandra

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 October 16 16:15 BST (UK) »
Canada doesn't have a countrywide BMD index,each province has it's own.
I have checked British Columbian death's but as Sandra pointed out Canada has strict privacy laws so the death indexes are not searchable right up to date. Births (1854-1903), marriages (1872-1940), deaths (1872-1993).

It would be handy to pinpoint him in WW2 but that is proving difficult too.

If he returned to the UK it would probably have been by plane and those records are not online,only shipping lists up to 1960. Have you checked to see if he appears on anyone's tree on Ancestry or followed the rest of his family , I see that his dad George Henry Berry Ellicott OBE died in 1960,but his executor was a Gladys Ellicott,no mention of Dennis.

Regards

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 October 16 16:20 BST (UK) »
Another thought, and I don't know whether this would apply in Manitoba, but could there be anything in the newspapers for Denis?

Different Province (Ontario) but information was found on one of my families who lived in Toronto from the Toronto Star newspaper, in the 1940s

Apologies if this is irrelevant.  :-[ 
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 29 October 16 16:23 BST (UK) »
The UK Return Passenger Lists 1878 - 1960 on ancestry don't seem to show Denis Ellicott returning but then they aren't a comprehensive list and that doesn't mean he didn't return at some stage.

Nothing is showing in the Winnipeg Free Press. If Dennis moved elsewhere we would need to know the province - imagine how long it takes trawling through newspapers without dates etc., 

https://news.google.com/newspapers?hl=en

Thankfully, Dennis is not listed in Canada, WWII Service Files of War Dead, 1939-1947

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead.aspx

Sandra