Author Topic: Margaret Marks and family 1560s  (Read 534 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Margaret Marks and family 1560s
« on: Sunday 30 October 16 01:31 BST (UK) »
Is anyone able to look for the christenings of Margaret Marks and her brother William Marks possibly in Childdingfold or a nearby parish between 1550-1590?

Margaret was married three times. Firstly she was married to a man with the surname Harding before 1617 (his first name may have been Robert). I believe they had two children named Thomas (born 1612 in Godalming) and Ellen (born 1617 in Godalming) but these two children may belong to another family. I know that Margaret's first husband died before 1617 since on 24 November 1617 she married William Gravett of Easebourne. She married him in Chiddingfold and is described as Margaret Harding (widow). William died in 1625/26 and Margaret married Robert Lock in Chiddingfold on 15 July 1627 when she is described as Margaret Gravett, widow. I also know that she had a brother named William Marks who is mentioned in some of the Wills belonging to Margaret's children by William Gravett. Her father may have been named William too.

I look forward to hearing any suggestions.

Matt

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Marks and family 1560s
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 October 16 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt

You may be unlucky with Chiddingfold

According to the West Surrey FHS who have fully transcribed the surviving registers, they only have the following with a 20 year gap

CHIDDINGFOLD   C 1573-1575, 1595-1840; M 1563-1837; B 1563-1840

I'm sure someone who has the microfiche or cd will check and reply
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 October 16 09:36 GMT (UK) »
If you're at a loose end next weekend, the West Surrey FHS have their annual open day in Woking.

http://wsfhs.co.uk/pages/openday.php

Members usually run look-up and help sessions and there's open access to the surname interests files so you can check to see if someone else is researching this family.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 October 16 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt

You may be unlucky with Chiddingfold

According to the West Surrey FHS who have fully transcribed the surviving registers, they only have the following with a 20 year gap

CHIDDINGFOLD   C 1573-1575, 1595-1840; M 1563-1837; B 1563-1840

I'm sure someone who has the microfiche or cd will check and reply

Hi there

Thanks for the information. I knew there were gaps in the Chiddingfold PRs but I had forgotten what date they started. Do you know if the Bishop's Transcripts survive for the earlier period?

My only reason for thinking that the family came from Chiddingfold though is the fact that Margaret was married in that parish at the times of her second and third marriages. I don't know anything really about her brother William Marks, or when her husbands died. Perhaps it would be handy to find if there are any Marks/Markes burials in Chiddingfold.

Many thanks again for the help

Matt