Author Topic: Mitchell Patison S.S.C burial / grave inscripton  (Read 2034 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Mitchell Patison S.S.C burial / grave inscripton
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 30 October 16 19:40 GMT (UK) »
I don't think there may be a remaining stone for him unfortunately.

Have a look at www.st-cuthberts.net/famhist.php#graves  Also, as indicated on that link from St Cuthbert's, the place to check online is the online version of "Monumental Inscriptions in St Cuthbert's Churchyard Edinburgh"

See waeve.co.uk/genealogy/sourcefiles/St.Cuthbert's_Cemetry.pdf Big document, search and find comes in handy  ::) I couldn't easily see a reference for him though but you may find something. Just copy and paste the bold URL to your browser and it will bring up the pdf document.

Whilst there may not be a remaining stone, you could find details on his burial by having someone check the burial register at this time. This would need to be done in person, not something that is available online. See www.ewht.org.uk/uploads/.../St%20Cuthberts%20documentary%20survey.pdf  Page 4 and the section 5.2. Burial records and other information on interments is helpful.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 30 October 16 20:01 GMT (UK) »

Yes date of first marriage should be 1820, and I copied the census info from an old email sent to me, your additional info here has me wondering if I have the right family as my direct ancestor David Wilson Patison was born 19 Nov 1840 (as per family search) but he is not present on the 1841 census and neither is his older sister Helen / Ellen.

The 1841 census was taken on 6 June that year. Given David's christening date, likely he was born just after this day that year.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 30 October 16 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Just adding 1851 census details (sure you have this but just to complete further details):

Helen M Patison 43 Lodging Keeper b. Edrom, Berwick
John M Patison 21
Helen M Patison 13
David W Patison9
Mary B Patison 7

Address: Market Street 3, Edinburgh

I think son George at this time is showing as a pupil (boarding?) in a school in Edinburgh (John Watsons Institution).

There are quite a few lodgers showing on the family listing for 1851 together with some servants. Likely this is how Helen was able to maintain the family at the time following the death of Mitchell, husband.

Guessing the family left for Australia around 1855 with the death of young Helen that you have mentioned?

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 30 October 16 20:24 GMT (UK) »

Married 1. Mary Bryce on Aug 1. 1920, Only issue known John Mitchell Patison Born C1830 - died 1876, Mary died Dec 9 1835. (Marriage Mitchell Pattison to Mary Bryce, with banns called in Edinburgh and St Cuthberts parishes on 21 Jul 1820 and 1 Aug 1820, respectively.)

Mary Bryce showing at the time of her marriage, in George Street, as the only daughter of Mr John Bryce, Carluke
www.rootschat.com/links/01irr/

Maybe this birth entry for her https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTLZ-XTL

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 30 October 16 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Just adding 1851 census details (sure you have this but just to complete further details):

Helen M Patison 43 Lodging Keeper b. Edrom, Berwick
John M Patison 21
Helen M Patison 13
David W Patison 9
Mary B Patison 7

Address: Market Street 3, Edinburgh

I think son George at this time is showing as a pupil (boarding?) in a school in Edinburgh (John Watsons Institution).

There are quite a few lodgers showing on the family listing for 1851 together with some servants. Likely this is how Helen was able to maintain the family at the time following the death of Mitchell, husband.

Guessing the family left for Australia around 1855 with the death of young Helen that you have mentioned?

Monica

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 31 October 16 07:47 GMT (UK) »
The 1841 census was taken on 6 June that year. Given David's christening date, likely he was born just after this day that year.
According to FamilySearch, he was born on 19 November 1840, and there is a similar listing in the index on SP though it doesn't specify whether 19 November 1840 is a birth or a baptism date.

So David was at least 6 months old on census day, 6/7 June 1841, so he ought to have been listed somewhere.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 31 October 16 14:53 GMT (UK) »
For what it may be worth, Mitchell Patison was admitted to membership of the SSC Society in 1819, but never rose to become an office-bearer of the Society before his difficulties emerged.

Offline tangwa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 01 November 16 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Wow, thanks so much everyone,

as I'm back at work this week I will take some time on the weekend to have a look at the links posted.

I really appreciate everyone's help with this, I think we are on the right track, I'm going to try and find out more about Mitchell's death, it will be very interesting to try and find out his cause of death.

I'm also really fascinated by the pottery - that's incredible!

Thanks again everyone - I will post again once I have checked some of the details provided :-)

Happy Wednesday!
Robilliard, Milne, Ogier, Lihou, Heckenberg, Beckett, Summers, Keevil, Appleton,Bilston, Chivers, Hogg, Patison, Mcgillivray, Anderson, Van de Wouw, Van der Loo,  Van der Meijden, Van Vugt, Marien, Cornelius

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 01 November 16 21:33 GMT (UK) »
I'm going to try and find out more about Mitchell's death, it will be very interesting to try and find out his cause of death.
SP has a death of Mitchell Pattison, aged 49, on 9 January 1847. Have you looked at that? The pre-1855 deaths in my tree in Edinburgh (though there are not very many of them) do generally state a cause of death.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.