Author Topic: Law Clerk  (Read 591 times)

Offline jack1601

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Law Clerk
« on: Thursday 03 November 16 21:28 GMT (UK) »
I have been trying to find any information relating to Law Clerks in the early 1900s.

My grandfather is shown on the 1911 Census with occupation Law Clerk (aged 21) living in Holbeck, Leeds
What type of qualifications would he have needed for this occupation and how long would his training have been? He died long before I was born, so very little information got passed down about his early education or training.

Any help would be appreciated
Jack1601

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Law Clerk
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 November 16 21:49 GMT (UK) »
His father probably would have signed an apprenticeship indenture form and paid a law firm to train son.  Legal clerks were taught and had to memorise the legal speak on all manner of legal documents which they would write by hand - usually in beautiful handwriting (maybe in copperplate script for example).

Articles of clerkship (1756-1874)

Search articles of clerkship (KB 105-107) by name on Ancestry (£). These are the contracts between an apprentice clerk, who wanted to become an attorney or solicitor, and an attorney who agreed to train the clerk. The contracts were often entered into by fathers (or other sponsors) on their sons’ behalf.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline jack1601

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Law Clerk
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 November 16 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rena

Thank you for the information, I will have a look on Ancestry as you suggest

Regards Jack1601